Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
Hi

Every now and again my Mac will freeze when I use the application switcher (with the command tab key stroke sequence). This happens perhaps once every 100 times or so. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or know of any solutions or fixes. I use a 1.5GHz Powerbook by the way.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice

b e n

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it stay frozen so you eventually have to pull the power? Do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed? Is it behaving erratically in any other way? :)

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
mad jew said:
Does it stay frozen so you eventually have to pull the power? Do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed? Is it behaving erratically in any other way? :)

Thanks for the reply. When it happens it freezes with the row of application icons on the screen. The mouse is ok though. I can move it around the screen but I can't do anything else. The only thing I can do is hold down the power button until it switches off.

I don't have any theme changers installed. Don't think I have any system hacks installed. How would I know if I did?

Thanks again for your help

b e n

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you open up a new user account in System Preferences, does it still freeze when you COMMAND-TAB?

It sounds like you don't have any system hacks installed. :)

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
mad jew said:
If you open up a new user account in System Preferences, does it still freeze when you COMMAND-TAB?

It sounds like you don't have any system hacks installed. :)

Thanks for your quick reply! I will try your suggestion and get back to you.

Thanks again for your help

b e n

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well I'm almost certain that application switching is governed by the Finder (could be wrong though) in which case removing the Finder preference file may help. To do this, search for a file named com.apple.finder.plist in your Preferences folder (on the original account), drag it to the Desktop and restart. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
^^ I think the cmd-tab function is a part of the Dock, actually...

In which case you should move/rename/delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist (and possibly /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist). Just note that when that file is removed, you'll need to re-add your preferred applications and folders to the Dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.