My Mac keeps on Freezing!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vouder17, May 25, 2003.

1. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Please can someone help, i have an iMac 233 and it constantly freezes, i can go through a day where it freezes 7-8 times or even more, but then sometimes it never freezes???
    It doesn't freeze when i do something specific like opening an application , it usually does it at any random time, whenever it feels like freezing it does it .....hey it might just freeze now???

Ok well i know you guys know alot more about macs than i do so can anyone help, this problem is REALLY annoying.

PS: I still run OS 9 , it would most probably be fine with OS X , it is just that OS X slows down my computer.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

find a standard guide for troubleshooting. 9 is so dead it's not worth my time to post all the instructions-- but here's a couple of quick ones--

rebuild your desktop: hold apple and option down as your desktop appears.

zap your PRAM-- hold down apple, option, P and R while your computer chimes at startup-- hold down the keys until it chimes about five or six times in a row.

separate batches of extensions out of your Extensions folder-- see if it still crashes. If the crashes stop, you know that one of the extensions you pulled was causing it.

Reinstall the OS. in this case, perhaps the easiest way to fix it.

:)
    pnw

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Make sure it's not hardware related, too.
    In my experience when a computer crashes more or less at random, RAM or the HD were mostly the cause. Ofcourse you'll have to remove any connected hardware, like printers, CD burners and stuff first.
    I wish you luck!

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

OS 9 is a difficult horse to tame!

A very common cause of problems in Classic OS's are 'extension conflicts' Extensions and Control Panels in your system folder often clash - It might be worth looking through them and seeing if there are any you could do without. If you are not comfortable doing it manually, try going to the 'Extensions Manager' Control Panel and choosing the option along the lines of 'Base OS' (this makes the set the same as if you'd just freshly installed the OS) Restart and see if you see any improvements. If you find you need to install more Extensions/Control Panels then add them slowly and only when needed - Then you should be able to identify which (if any) are causing problems.

Make sure you're running the latest (last!?) version of OS 9, which is OS 9.2.2 and that you have the most up to date firmware (have a look at the support pages on Apples site for more information on doing that)

Check that you have enough RAM installed. Using all the available RAM under OS 9 (and earlier) can cause problems for the system. If you are using it all, either purchase more RAM or use Virtual Memory (even turning virtual memory on to 1mb extra will help)

Destroy any copies of Microsoft Internet Explorer or any other software under that brand name. ;)

As others suggest, remove peripherals one by one, especially any USB devices. Check that you have the latest drivers for any that are causing problems.

Hope you manage to fix it!

5. rjvamp macrumors newbie

Mac OS 9.2.2 on Powerbook Pizmo causes freezing

After installing 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2 on my Powerbook Pizmo I experienced tons of freezing. I eventually went back to 9 which came with my Pizmo.

I run OS 10.2.6 now - and haven't gone back into 9 very often.

But just upgrading to 9.2.2 and uninstalling anything Microsoft is not going to be the answer to solve all your freezing problems. I believe that an update after 9 caused my problems. If Microsoft can screw up OS updates don't you think Apple can?

By the way, I run OS 10.2 on Pizmo (400 MHZ G3 Powerbook) http://homepage.mac.com/robfdavis and I run a Dell Inspirion Notebook (1.6 GHZ P4) with Windows 2K Server and a Compaq (600 MHZ P3) with Windows 2K Server that runs http://www.entrees.ws.

Enjoy whatever computer you use - and of course - my Mac is my favorite :)