My Mac OS X Review-or-The 11 things that annoy me in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ctachme, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ctachme macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    A while ago I started jotting down problems I had with the Finder, Spotlight etc... and as that list became more and more involved I decided to make a website (since I kinda enjoy making them, and they are so cheap to host) detailing all the problems I see with Mac OS X.

So I know this is somewhat of a self-promotional post, but it's not like I have anything to sell (there aren't even ads :) ). I honestly am just curious what people think about my ideas on the website.

Try to enjoy a little :D :
  2. Balli macrumors 6502

It's a fantastic site that highlights some (if not most) of Mac OS X's faults. I don't agree with all of your qualms about the interface, but hey that's life.

Although I do hope you have sent a copy of the site's URL to Apple. (I'm sure Apple knows about most of the inconsistencies, but whether they choose to 'fix' them in Leopard only time will tell).

My biggest announces with Tiger's interface is with the Spotlight window. The only way to delete items off of it, is to drag them to the trash. Surely it would be easy for Apple to include a 'delete' option in the contextual menu when you right click an item?
  3. Agent69 macrumors member

Sep 22, 2005
    United States
    To me, Mac OS X has the following issues:

01. I am forced to install middleware (Safair, iChat, iCal, and iTunes) that I may not want.
    02. Inconsistant user interfaces (Aqua, Metal, etc).
    03. No option for a dedicated swap partition.
    04. No option for customizing where user directories are created.
    05. No command line tool dedicated to adding/removing users.
    06. Finding by filenames doesn't work if Spotlight is turned off.
    07. Spotlight searches as I type. I feel it should wait until I hit ENTER before searching.
    08. There should be a Dock preference to turn off Dashboard.
    09. Advanced users should be able to set umask in preferences.
    10. Finder should be a Cocoa application.
    12. Resource forks should be eliminated.
    13. Mac OS X Installer cannot uninstall things, appearently.
    14. A way to lock the size of the Dock would be nice.
  4. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    Because there's an easier way (unless the app comes with an uninstaller):
    1. Drag it to the trash.

True, a preference file stays put, but it's only a couple MB and doesn't do anything. Plus, if you reinstall the app later, all your preferences are still there. If you want to completely erase an app from the HD, you need to stop being so paranoid. :p
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    It's pretty good and highlights a lot of the problems with OS X.

I completely disagree with the contextual menus thing though...

iTunes has the contextual menus it needs etc... can you imagine how irritating it would be to have "Convert to AAC" along with 10 billion other functions when all you clicked on was a file in Finder...
  6. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Your site highlights some good inconsistencies with the OS.

Well done, hopefully Apple will sort most of them out.
  7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2006
    I think a lot of your complaints are VERY superficial. For example, the drop shadows of windows disappearing when you minimze them...are you serious?

Also, I don't understand what you mean when you talk about the Dashboard psuedo-widget which takes up room. There is a dashboard---wait...nevermind, i get it now. I just realized what you mean mid-typing, but I don't feel like deleting what I've already written.

maybe it's because I just switched and I like OS X so much better than XP that I don't notice anything wrong with it.
  8. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    GarageBand, among others, disagrees heartily with your argument.
  9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2006
    Oh, also, the site looks really great! (hopefully my last post didn't make me sound mean)
  10. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    No kidding! I've found the only way to relably uninstall iLife is to reformat your HD and reinstall the OS. :mad:
  11. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    Sure I am. Apple apparently cares about things like dropshadows... or else they wouldn't have included them in the OS in the first place. As with most Apple products (think... computers) visual appearance and design are very important. That's one of the reasons we like OS X so much, I think, because it looks pretty good.
  12. brianus macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2005
    Care to elaborate? I copy and paste files from one folder to another constantly in the Finder. Dragging from one volume to another copies by default, while for folders on the same volume, you can drag and drop while holding down the Option key. Or, you can do a command-C/command-V with the files. Or if you feel like wearing out your mouse-hand you can always use the Edit menu. What on earth are you talking about?

And what's this about copying filenames?
  13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    The main point I agree with you is that there's all these commands a normal user wouldn't intutively know. If not for this forum I would have never found out that command+esc gets you into front row.
  14. brianus macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2005
    This drives me crazy. Not only because Windows, despite all its shortcomings and complete lack of an integrated search database like Spotlight, has had document previews in Icon View for 5 years!!! You'd think an OS touted as being better for "creative professionals" would easily best Windows in this area, but nope. That Spotlight implements some form of this feature but the regular Finder doesn't is bizarre. I also think they could stand to decrease the space between icons to make it easier to view folders full of images as though they were contact sheets. Users could then increase icon size without reducing too much the number of icons that could fit in a Finder window.
  15. Tinhead macrumors member

Oct 25, 2004

Couldn't have written it better myself, Tiger indeed feels like one step forward and two back in regard to UI and consistency. I'm hoping 10.5 will fix most of these irregularities, but I'm not holding by breath.

It's extremely annoying that Apple puts so much effort into bringing great new tech for OS X users, yet fails to get the basics right. I wish they had done their homework with 10.0, now the inconsistencies drag along with each revision of OS X. Someone needs to be hired for supervising the GUI and usability of software on a system-wide level, instead of Steve just picking whatever he likes the most this morning. Not saying that he actually does, but it sure seems like it from time to time.

Still, I've chosen OS X because it sucks the least ;)
  16. farqueue macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2006
    i think yu need to goe beck to schoole and learn how to spells.
  17. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    That was a mistake on my part. I meant to say cut and paste. I'm not sure what I was talking about with the filenames though :rolleyes:
  18. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    I really like your site but I disagree with the system butons and the toolbaar widgets.
  19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    I disagree with almost the entire thing. These are all "problems" that need "fixing" in the eyes of Windows users, but Macintosh old timers may see these as worthless additions for the sake of pandering to Windows users.

And aside from the above, some are just plain ridiculous. Expose somehow magically tearing all your Safari tabs apart, then putting them back together? And for what purpose, the tabs are there to begin with why would you even need to do that. Who in their right mind would switch between tabs like that when all you have to do is click.
  20. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    What precisely would be necessary to be called a Mac old-timer? I've been using Mac OS since 7.5.1. Oh, I'm sure there are many others that have been using it longer, but I certainly feel like it's been long enough to have a pretty good idea of the deficiencies and the advantageous of Mac software.

And I honestly don't see how the suggestions either "pander to windows users" or are "worthless." Does consistency in the OS UI pander to windows users? Of course not... they have even less consistency in their OS! Nor is it worthless, it would greatly ease the user experience. Or a Finder that actually works? Us old mac users had that, once, long ago. Today's Finder is riddled with so many flaws and problems that I do not understand how you can be content with the way that it is now.

Each tab is rightfully it's own window. I should be able to view thumbnails of the windows that are hidden in tabs as easily as I can those windows which are not hidden. Also, have you ever heard of Fitt's law? It states that the easiest targets to hit on the screen are the corners. If I have hot-corners turned on it's actually easier to use Exposé to access a tab then to "just click", if that tab is in a window that is not in the foreground (because in order to "just click" I would first have to switch to that window, and then find the tab and click on it.) And what's so "magical" about tabs tearing apart? Your windows "magically" fly apart as it is!
  21. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    To me, OS X Tiger's faults are the inconcistency between the different UI's (metal, aqua) and some bugs. That's all.

But you have to admit, guys, that it is a pretty neat system. It provides all functions that I could ask, and also, with the introduction of spotlight, which has replaced many hours of searching my HD, I feel that I finally have the system Apple wanted to give us from the introduction of the first version of OS X.

That said, I should mention that I KNOW that Finder could become better. MUCH better. The link I am about to give you, is written in 2001, but some thinks apply for today's Finder as well. The codebase hasn't changed, but the responsiveness is greatly improved over previews versions. Anyway, I think you will find this interesting....
  22. ctachme thread starter macrumors member

Dec 22, 2003
    It's horribly scary how the finder is still essentially the same underlying app that they are reffering to there. We have so many new technologies, it's really amazing how bad the finder is.

And it still is a pretty neat system, it just has some flaws.
  23. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2004
    Developers are left hanging regarding interface elements.

Now you have a situation where they are trying to either re-create Apples graphics or create their own, and the result is an OS with a whole mess of differently styled buttons and widgets.

The dark plastic style of iLife 06 isn't made available at all, that's just one example.
  24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    Doesn't that only apper in iPhoto and Aperture, which happen to be two similar Photo apps from the same company?

Because all the tabs share one titlebar and main overall window. If they were to fly apart, to make it look nice it would have to suddenly give all the tabs their own window, or you would just have 5 or 6 "pages" with no border, and then one with a window border. That doesn't make any sense.
  25. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Under the input menu, you say

Why not just uncheck the bottom box (show input menu in menu bar), and your flag goes away.