My Mac OS X time keeps screwing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farqueue, Nov 13, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

I dont know what is wrong but everytime i turn on the computer mac os x shows a different time, like 5 hours off, or the next day or the day before.

So i always have to open and sync it with time.apple.com

i mean WTF?:mad:

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Do you have BootCamp installed with XP? I know there used to be some problems with that...

3. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Yeah, when I used XP alongside with OSX the two systems seemed to live in two different time-zones.
    Changing the time on XP would change to time on OSX and vise versa. The time would only differ one hour though.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes, there are incompatablilities with the way time is kept on the two operating systems, stemming from dos time keeping, anyway, i think i saw a script or something out there if this is ya problem

5. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

yup i have boot camp installed.

whats the software?

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Do you not have access to google ? ?

anyway here are a couple of solutions:

Here’s the fix:

Make a batch file within Windows that contains the following 4 lines:

@echo off
    net time /setsntp:tick.usno.navy.mil
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

how to make a batch file if you don’t know: open Notepad, paste the following lines then save as synctime.bat, or whatever.bat… doesn’t really matter as long as you have the .bat extension.

Then add the batch file to your startup folder in your Start menu so that it starts whenever windows starts up.

This works perfectly on my MacBook Pro.

I can’t take credit for it, though.. I found it on a forum somewhere.

or:

Here’s what I do.

In Windows I have a startup script that will adjust the time zone to your local time, and a shutdown script that will return the time zone to GMT.

RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\TIMEDATE.cpl,,/Z Greenwich Standard Time

Er that’s the shutdown script. To locate your timezone regedit and find HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones, looking for the key name of your time zone (may not be the time shown in the time zones control of windows). I’m a Singaporean, hence

RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\TIMEDATE.cpl,,/Z Singapore Standard Time

You know you’ve got it wrong when Windows prompts you to choose your time zone in a window.

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

8. macfixx macrumors newbie