Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I've decided my macbook isn't cutting it for what I want to do.
I've learned that I can get some badd@$$ software at school for 3D rendering and the such. A 950 won't cut it anymore once I reach that point.

Here's my master plan. :D

In a year's time or so, I'll sell my Macbook with it's 2 gigs of ram. I hope
to get about 700 to 800 for it.

Either by trade+cash or selling-and-cash, I would want to purchase a Mac Pro, lowest end model available. But not the newest model that's sure to have been released by then. It would probably be the current model.

;)

So, do you think a lower end Mac Pro will go for 1500 this time next year?
A man can dream can't he?

Thanks for any advice! :)

(One last note: though I might end up needing some kind of portable comp, I would try to get a cheapie PC laptop for about 200 and install Linux on it.)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I doubt macbooks will go for that this time next year, you may be able to get a used (not refurb) mac pro for just over $1500 if you scour for deals.

It's all specualtion though, too many factors come in to play on such a time frame. Why not get an extra job or something and not have to worry it so much.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I think your plan sounds about right, to be honest.. although there are a lot of "ifs" in your calculations. I don't think you're being overly optimistic, though.

look at the going rates of iBooks still.. some of them are 3 and 4 generations out already and are still going for 6-700.. so a year old macbook could potentially get 7-800 on eBay next year, IMO.. especially one that's upgraded.

and as for the Mac Pro, if you could find a stock one from a user on here, I bet $1500 isn't far from the mark. No doubt on eBay they'll be going for higher than that, but I don't think that's a crazy number for a year from now, though it might be a little low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.