My Mac Pro Goal -- Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Mar 26, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've decided my macbook isn't cutting it for what I want to do.
    I've learned that I can get some badd@$$ software at school for 3D rendering and the such. A 950 won't cut it anymore once I reach that point.

Here's my master plan. :D

In a year's time or so, I'll sell my Macbook with it's 2 gigs of ram. I hope
    to get about 700 to 800 for it.

Either by trade+cash or selling-and-cash, I would want to purchase a mac pro, lowest end model available. But not the newest model that's sure to have been released by then. It would probably be the current model.

;)

So, do you think a lower end Mac Pro will go for 1500 this time next year?
    A man can dream can't he?

Thanks for any advice! :)

(One last note: though I might end up needing some kind of portable comp, I would try to get a cheapie PC laptop for about 200 and install Linux on it.)

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I doubt macbooks will go for that this time next year, you may be able to get a used (not refurb) mac pro for just over $1500 if you scour for deals.

It's all specualtion though, too many factors come in to play on such a time frame. Why not get an extra job or something and not have to worry it so much.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think your plan sounds about right, to be honest.. although there are a lot of "ifs" in your calculations. I don't think you're being overly optimistic, though.

look at the going rates of iBooks still.. some of them are 3 and 4 generations out already and are still going for 6-700.. so a year old macbook could potentially get 7-800 on eBay next year, IMO.. especially one that's upgraded.

and as for the Mac Pro, if you could find a stock one from a user on here, I bet $1500 isn't far from the mark. No doubt on eBay they'll be going for higher than that, but I don't think that's a crazy number for a year from now, though it might be a little low.