My Mac Pro suffers from insomnia!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Creeping-Death, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Creeping-Death macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've just got my mac pro about a week ago and everything is perfect, except for one little problem that really bothers me (altought it's not really that bad).

So there it is : when I put my Mac Pro to sleep, he almost always wakes up by himself about 2-3 minutes later.

Anybody had the same problem and/or knows how to fix it???

Thanks in advance!

2. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

what are your wake settings in the energy saver panel of system preferences?

3. Creeping-Death thread starter macrumors newbie

Wake for Ethernet network administrator access is on.

Think that might be it? I'll try and be right back to you.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, do you have any Bluetooth devices that might be waking it? What is connected to this machine? :)

5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Do you have a non-bluetooth wireless mouse? My (otherwise perfect) Logitech MX revolution wakes the computer with the slightest movement.

David

6. Creeping-Death thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't have any bloothtooth devices on it, but I disabled the "wake for ethernet...." option, wich I though I had done before, and it seems to be working now.

Thanks a lot for your advice

7. dusanv macrumors 6502

Mine does the same thing, but with a twist. I have BT and WiFi disabled as well as the wake for administrator access. There is nothing connected to the Mac other than an Apple keyboard, a Logitech mouse and a Dell 3007WFP. It's been updated with the latest OS X and firmware patches.

Some of the time, it will wake up seconds after going into sleep (just like Creeping-Death's used to). Most of the time it crashes coming out the sleep though. After the reboot, it offers to send a report of the crash to Apple (which I let it). I check the logs after the crash but I don't see anything about it. I have zero other problems with the machine.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's not just the Pro but all my Macs have done / do this when sitting on my LAN. Is there a checklist I can go through?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

dusanv, I find the biggest culprit when it comes to machines being woken unnecessarily is the mouse. Maybe turn your mouse off and see if it still wakes and freezes/crashes. :)

10. dusanv macrumors 6502

Just unplugged the Logitech and plugged in the Mighty Mouse. Didn't help. Could it be the Dell monitor? I'll have to haul another monitor here to test. BTW, how do you access the Apple menu without the mouse???

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

CONTROL-F2 should select the Menu Bar for you. Do you have anything plugged into the Dell? :)

12. dusanv macrumors 6502

No, there's an USB hub and a media reader in it but nothing is plugged in. I'll test with another monitor tomorrow and report back.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean the internal USB hub or do you have an external hub connected to one of the ports? If it's the latter, then that could well be the problem.

14. dusanv macrumors 6502

There's a built-in USB 2.0 hub and a media card reader in the monitor itself. And yes, that's the problem although nothing is connected to it. When I disconnect the monitor USB cable, sleep functions fine. Time to bug Dell. Or Apple?

15. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

It might be a program that you have installed. I'm pretty sure that EyeTV and RadioShark software will cause some weird sleep habits for your omputer.

16. dusanv macrumors 6502

The problem is that hub/card reader in the monitor. There's nothing attached to it.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not using Dell monitors here. I get this on the Pro and the MBP (almost always used with external monitor). Both are sitting on wired LANs. MBP has Eyetv but it's not always attached. Both have RME Firefaces attached but once again both are not always on. Pro has 2 iPod Universal docks attached but there's not necessarily an iPod in either dock. MBP has external drive, but once again it's not always connected. Both Macs are connected to the Firewire/USB ports on the ACD's.

I would say in my case it's not always predictable when the computer will just wake up again, but it does happen when I'm sitting at the PC's (Windows PCs) and I look out of the corner of my eye and the Macs are on when I know I slept them. But if I don't trigger a sleep manually they do usually go to sleep, although I have sometimes come back to a fully on state in the morning.

I do have the 'Wake for Ethernet Administrator Access' ticked as I want WOL.