Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scotsworth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Ohio
So, I have gotten an anti virus program, and have searched my computer and found nothing. What happens is that my iMac G5 will randomly shut down. It will just turn off randomly. It seems like it happens if I leave it on for a prolonged period of time...and after a while...it will just turn off. And it has been happening more recently. I have downloaded stuff using torrents and azureus...and when i do this i leave the computer on over night and just let the screen sleep. So, I figured it must be azureus or the torrents im downloading. However, just recently, azureus is certainly closed...and my computer will still randomly shut down. Today it has happened at least 8 times. I am running the latest version of tiger, have repaired disk permissions and everything else. I am very confused. Any advice?

Scotsworth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Ohio
I'll check it, but I don't see how it could be me...since I bought my iMac in July of 2005...which is outside the issue. But I guess it could have been manufactured in June...which would put it inside the target area.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Is it a Rev B, and does it just cut out as if its been unplugged?

mine had the same problem a few weeks ago and i had to get a new power supply, it got to the point where is cut out half way thought the startup chime.

Replaceing the power supply fixed it.

hope its something simpler though

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2003
United States
Scotsworth, my family's iMac G5 just started doing this last week. They took it to the apple store and it got shipped off to Apple to have its power supply replaced for FREE.

Apparently, apple has been having trouble with the iMac G5 power supplies.

Further evidence: in replacing this, we heard from a guy who does a lot of video editing and worked with a few different iMac G5's. ALL OF THEM had to have their power supplies replaced.

Hope this helps!

Scotsworth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Ohio
That must be the problem...because it just turns off as if it has been unplugged. I guess i'll have to ship it off to apple to get a new power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.