my mac wont load ????? help please

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by woodsy51, Dec 9, 2002.

1. woodsy51 macrumors newbie

hello everyone

haveing just got my first mac im a bit new to all this so please be patient if i sound like a compleate novice, this is my problem when i got my mac it was second hand and the hard drive was full of junk so i wanted to make a fresh start so i got the os 9.2.2 disks from my bro's mac g4 and loaded them on to mine over the top of my copy of 9 the installation went fine but when i now reset the computer as it asks after the installation it stops half way through loading the os ?????? there are 4 icons at the bottom of the page the last one is like a speeding monitor with a cross over it ?? now the computer does not seem to crash it just halts ?? any ideas ?? the computer is a beige power mac g3 266 with 128 meg of ram a pci voodoo 3 3000 graphics card ( is this the problem ??) a scsi sony cd rom drive ( not the orignal ) there are 2 hard drives one 4 gig scsi witch the os is installed on and one 6 gig pci one the system also has a a ide zip drive and the monitor is the same one as i use for my pc a hansol 710 a , so with all this info can anyone please please help me

many thanks

chris woods ( pc nerd lost in a world of mac's )

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Maybe I can help...

Try disconnecting any external devices like a external CD-ROM or Hard Drive, also make sure the Mac OS 9 CD is out of the CD-ROM drive. Then startup your Mac, tell me what happens. Did the computer work for your friend? If not what was the problem? Please relpy soon...

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably just an extension/control panel conflict.

Time to play with the extension manager.

4. woodsy51 thread starter macrumors newbie

i start the mac up and it makes the chimes ( the os cd is not in the drive ) then it shows the screen saying os 9.2 then after the loading bar gets about half way accross it stops and there are 4 icons at the bottom of the page and the last one is a speeding monitor with a cross on it ??? does the mac halt on errors if so how do i stop it from doing so ??

thanks

5. woodsy51 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i get in to there the os does not load ??? do i have to boot of the cd ??? if so how do i force the system to bood from the cd ??

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

While booting hold the following key to

c - boot from CD

shift - turn off extensions

space bar - boot extension manager (I think)

Try holding the shift key, if it boots you have an extension conflict. If it boots from the CD you probably have an extension conflict. Especially if you just intalled the OS.

If you can get it to boot from the drive just open the extension manager from the control panels.

7. woodsy51 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i will give it a go in a bit and get back to you

cheers

8. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

This is called an Extension Conflict. When your Mac startup, those little icons are the extensions. They're loaded alphabetically, which helps you determine what they are when looking for conflicts.

As you sound new to all this, do the following:

1) Restart the mac as normal, and make a note of the little picture icons, in the order they appear. The first one is likey Apple Enet (ethernet), then perhaps Apple Guide (has a ? on it).

2) Configure the extension manager. To do this, when you hear the restart chime hold the space key down until it appears.

3) Look at the list of Extensions in the list, not the Control Panels. If you click on their names it tells you about them at the bottom, including their icons.

4) The one causing the conflict will be the icon which SHOULD be the one next to appear on startup, so it's likely the extension directly AFTER the ones in the list you've already identified in point (1).

Then restart and test, if everythings ok, enjoy your mac! If not, repeat until it is.
    The EM also lets you select the default install set which shouldn't have any conflicts.

Alternatively, restart holding 'shift' to start up your mac in -extensions off- mode, then investigate for conflicts in the system folder/extentions folder.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Hamish

PS - this doesn't happen in OSX!!

9. woodsy51 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks thats bril i will try later and get back to you

thank you very much

chris