Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matixryder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I purchased it on Amazon.com. It arrived today with 128gb SSD. Can I bring it to local store and exchange for a machine with Samsung one? Should I? Or just keep this machine and be happy with it?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'm not sure if they will exchange it if there isn't a good reason. Plus there isn't a guarantee that you will get one with the samsung SSD anyhow. I'd just keep it, I'm certain it's a very small difference anyhow

Aras87

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
keep the toshiba sad, it actually is faster than samsung in day to day tasks. Don't let the nonsense reviews fool you. Go to an apple store, find 2 MBAs with samsung and toshiba ssds. Toshiba will boot faster, shut down faster and will start large apps faster. I currently have a samsung ssd, though i wish it was a toshiba.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
No reason to return

If everything else is functioning well and there are no defects keep it and enjoy...karma is a beeotch. In every day use you would unlikely never tell the diff.

matixryder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
You guys are rite :) I should keep it. So far, it works pretty well and I am extremely happy with it. This is the best birthday present ever!! One more question please!! Do I really need to purchase an external HDD and back up my mac using time machine?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
You don't have to or need to, but it's a great peace of mind to know that under the unlikely circumstances your mac crashes you are covered. Besides, external drives are hella cheap these days.

ecib

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I purchased it on Amazon.com. It arrived today with 128gb SSD. Can I bring it to local store and exchange for a machine with Samsung one? Should I? Or just keep this machine and be happy with it?

Congratulations. You have a brand new, top of the line laptop, that functions perfectly and has absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I think we need to invent some sort of new term that describes the kind of hypochondriac + OCD behaviors that some people find themselves engaging in when it comes to technology :)

Chrisbkreme

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Don't worry about it, you will not be able to see the difference on a day-to-day basis. There are even arguments that say the Toshiba is the better drive.

matixryder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Ok thank you guys I feel much better now after seeing your comments. The machine is work perfectly so far. I love every aspects of it. Btw, Amazon decided to ship my Macbook air and my 2 years Apple Care separately. The Apple Care package will arrive tomorrow. I am worrying that I can't extent the warranty for my MBA because I read somewhere they said that you can only register for Apple's extra warranty within two days. Is that true?

Usual

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
If I were you, I would not return it back. In fact, I would not even look at it...

Keep & enjoy it :) And happy to see that you are in the same opinion now..

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Ok thank you guys I feel much better now after seeing your comments. The machine is work perfectly so far. I love every aspects of it. Btw, Amazon decided to ship my Macbook air and my 2 years Apple Care separately. The Apple Care package will arrive tomorrow. I am worrying that I can't extent the warranty for my MBA because I read somewhere they said that you can only register for Apple's extra warranty within two days. Is that true?

You have a year!

And yes Time Machine comes highly recommended, so straightforward (once configured you just plug it in and it will auto-backup), especially given the fact external hard drives are really cheap.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
1. If you bought it on Amazon you'll need to return it there. Apple retail stores won't return goods purchased at other vendors since that product never came through apple internal inventory system.

2. YES YES YES YES YES always backup your data. SSD or no SSD. Backup your data. Use time machine, super duper or my personal favorite Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. I've read about the different SSD's shouldn't make a big difference for most people.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
You should try to return it if you want. I did it, but it still came out to be another Toshiba. Here's what I suggest,

Check the displays at the Apple store, see they have Samsung, if they do, then they might have them in stock. That's the only way I would go about doing it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You should try to return it if you want. I did it, but it still came out to be another Toshiba. Here's what I suggest,

Check the displays at the Apple store, see they have Samsung, if they do, then they might have them in stock. That's the only way I would go about doing it.

Those display units dont represent normal stock. I suggest OP keeps the one he got...you cant really perceive the speed difference.

billidan

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Mine had a toshiba SSD as well, I compared it with the one with Samsung SSD side by side.

I can tell you that you will not notice the difference even a little bit. duplicate a large single file (~10G) only different for a few seconds, and sometimes the toshiba one boots even faster than the samsung one.

So just stop worrying about the SSD and start enjoy your new machine:)

nohoch

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
If you would have never looked, you would have never noticed the diff... I honestly dont think it makes that much diff at all.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
I'm not sure if they will exchange it if there isn't a good reason. Plus there isn't a guarantee that you will get one with the samsung SSD anyhow. I'd just keep it, I'm certain it's a very small difference anyhow

it is indeed.

most people here say that its a difference you cannot measure with your own head..

programs can.. and the differences are a few %..

i got the 256GB and that was a samsung.. :O

the damn thing loads sc2 faster than my desktop(also ssd!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.