Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddy

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
At what temperature does this happen? Surely I've left my PowerBook in these freezing cold Chicago temperatures before and nothing happened.

I think it's somewhere around -30 or -40F. I know thats WAY cold, but with how fancy freezers are these days, I'd err on the side of caution.

Ha! They're coming out of the optical slot now? That's too funny. :D;)

LaceEm

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
probably one of the more funnier posts ive read on this site. the sugar is a brilliant idea. But why dont you keep them as your macbook pets? If they were termites they might match your white macbook.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
perhaps they are trying to put a more urgent post to this site & don't have broadband, so give em' an hour or to to compile their thread & I'm sure they'll clear off:D

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Yay! I think they all got out/killed now. Photos would have been great but I was too concentrated on killing each one. Thanks for the help guys, I hope that this doesnt happen again.

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
ants hate cinnamon and peppermint oil, maybe take a damp cloth apply some peppermint oil and give the book a quick wipedown...that should keep them from coming back

any idea how they got in there in the first place?

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
wouldn't that harm the lithium in the battery? or did they stop using lithium?

I was half joking. Sorta. Well, I've put a laptop on ice packs while running some stress tests. I figured that might help freeze the little bastards.

I'm kinda a genius when it comes to creative ways to put expensive hardware in danger.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
wouldn't that harm the lithium in the battery? or did they stop using lithium?

Lithium batteries won't work well in the cold, but I doubt it will do any permanent damage. Just don't use (or even charge) the battery before it has reached room temperature all the way through.

Ants in the CD slot could be bad if you don't get them all out (if any die/freeze while they are inside).

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Run "yes" (i think it was this) in terminal and let the bastards burn.

Been there done that:p This happened to my old PB when I ate near it and crumbs went in everywhere... Got a CD in it to slice the bastards, run "yes" under terminal to make the CPU and fans work at the peak and quickly got heated; They either died of overheat or were sliced by the CD/Fans:cool: Ants can't tolerate that much heat, nor the fans chopping them :D

Victor

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
This thread is full of win.

(been spending to much time on the WoW boards :()

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I thought this was a joke or plea for attention until the post with links to other people with this same problem.

It seems like you got it under control, however if it becomes a problem again, my suggestion is this:

Take it to your local Apple store and purchase a ProCare membership. It's $100 for a year or $80 if you're a college student. Among other things, with the membership, they will literally clean out your system inside and out. As soon as you pay for the ProCare, take out your Macbook and tell them you want to have it cleaned out.

Maybe even tell them why. Weird.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Next time take pictures of this. Where do you live? i guess been in PA is an advantage. Here ants only show up in the Summer months.

tuosfan

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
47 posts

47 posts and nobody has made the joke of their macbook being full of bugs? c'mon people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.