My macbook is deleating random stuff!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hardhatmac, Jan 3, 2007.

1. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I've had my macbook since september...and the last few weeks it's been acting wierd. Like today I went to itunes and all my music was gone! No where to be found on my computer. Plus a few days ago, i turned it on and everthing was reset to it's default, the desktop, dashboard, the dock---it was such a pain to go back in and re-do it all----plus it went in and deleted all my photos out of iphoto. What is going on! I've tried repairing the disk feature but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions......

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It sounds a lot like you've logged into another account. Are you sure that didn't happen?

3. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I am sure I didnt log on as another user... I only have one account.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And no one has had access to it, nor have you reinstalled the OS? I can't imagine it resetting itself.

Any 3rd party software installed recently? Also, if you search for your music, do you at least see the music files themselves?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

6. shov macrumors member

i lost all my iphoto photo's recently. i just assumed it was me being stupid - but couldn't work out what i'd done. i've also had the menu bar reset itself, but not the dock.
    mb c2d, by the way.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If so, follow these instructions from Apple and solemnly swear never to move, rename, or delete a system folder ever again.

Alternatively, it could be that you're running out of hard drive space. This is less likely, but make sure you have at least 8GB free to ensure the virtual memory doesn't start randomly deleting your stuff. :)

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

My cousin has had the same problem with his macbook, i think this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. :cool:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'f you're talking about how easy it is to rename the Home folder and screw things up, then yeah, I agree with ya.

10. Gundampilotspaz macrumors member

Oh, I did that!

ah hahahaha...... :(

11. MacIllini macrumors member

hmmm.... same thing happened to my friend yesterday on her C2D MacBook. downloaded pics and music last week and it all disappeared yesterday :confused:

12. Sam0r macrumors regular

OS X Wouldn't delete your files just so it has more VM to mess with, would it?! :eek:

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It has happened when space is at an absolute premium (less than a few hundred megabytes). It's nothing to get too worried about though, it's a bit rare.