My MacBook Pro innards

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrzej, Dec 29, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Today I took apart my MacBook Pro to clean the inside of it. I haven't done this in the three and a half years I've owned it, so I figured there would be a lot of dust in it. It wasn't as bad as I expected (this photo is taken before any cleaning was done; you'll notice the keyboard/trackpad cable still connected to the logic board), but it did take over 4 hours to clean.:D

[​IMG]

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Great. Looks exactly the same as every other MBP from your generation...

3. tug
    macrumors 6502

i use canned air on my macbook, but sometimes theres bits in there that won't come off, so i resort to high density detergent, a hard nailbrush to roughly scrub and make a nice foam, let stand for a while then i use an industrial steam cleaner (from my work, the boss don't mind) and it generally gleams like new.

4. macrumors 6502

I usually do this, but sometimes will use the wirebrush attachment for my drill if it gets real rough in spots

5. tug
    macrumors 6502

nice one, never thought of that.

but i will sure give it a go next time i do a clean.

:D:D:D:D

6. macrumors 604

I hope anyone reading your post will recognize sarcasm and not actually do that.

7. macrumors 603

blueroom

Looking at the photo makes me wonder how a much larger battery would fit if they omitted the DVD drive.

8. tug
    macrumors 6502

i didn't mean to appear sarcastic. it was just meant as light hearted fun during the holidays.

hopefully it made a few folks smile. :):):)

9. macrumors P6

dukebound85

I tried what you said to get the hard stuff to come off. Didn't have a steam cleaner though so just did the detergent part with a toothbrush and now I can't get it to turn on again?:confused:

Any advice?

10. macrumors 604

I should have said light-hearted, not sarcastic. My mistake. I did have to read it twice before I caught on. Must be a little groggy from last night, but I'm awake now. umgph.

Would be interesting to see how long a MBP would last if they did ditch the DVD drive and put more battery instead and not change the form factor.

11. tug
    macrumors 6502

perhaps a rogue toothbrush bristle that worked itself loose has caused something to arc across somewhere, you need to get your hands on a high pressure jet house, that would find the pesky thing, hopefully it will then boot up.

:D:D:D