My Macbook Pro overclocked WoW review

Discussion in 'Games' started by findnemo, Aug 7, 2006.

1. findnemo macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2006
    Hello, I recently got my Macbook Pro and it is simply amazing, I cannot continue to game on my PC loaded with a 7800gt because the 15 inch widescreen on the Pro is soooo addicting to look at.

The first day I got it I installed bootcamp, WoW, Call of Duty 2, Fable, WC3, and Civ4.

On a stock Pro WoW ran Very choppy on an avg. of 22 choppy fps and it was unplayable to my standards (Org, 1440x900, ALL High, no Vsnc). That is w/ people on the screen regularly. Without people on the screen and looking at like one NPC it ran at 60 fps, but as soon as I moved around it skipped, chopped, and hiccuped. I cannot immagine a Macbook running WoW in MC or Alterac.

W/ 2gb of ram from datamem it went up to 24-25 very stable, non choppy fps and was very playable.

When I installed Omega Drivers and set the clocks back to their orginal intennded specs..or close to it (450, 450) WoW runs at a blistering pace and I get an avg. of 38-42fps<---pretty goddamn good for a latop at 1440x900 all High, and I dare say it runs ALOT better on my Pro then my pc. The heat is still the same and the fans still stay silent.

Wow is a SUCCCH a better game on the Pro because ....You remember the first time you set foot in Org? It was brilliant....the people...the buildings...the lighting, it was a whole different world. For me now having two lvl 60's everytime I set foot in Org I don't see anything but WTS, and Pst for raid invite.

On my Pro however, stepping into Org with the widescreen nearly put tears to eyes. I saw everything, the Guild building, the AH, the Blimp on top of the tower, it brought me back to a time where WoW was the single most important thing in my life, it bought me back to leveling up, it brought me back to instances, and the best thing is it took me away from raids, and omgwtfbbqsauce loot. It brought WoW back to me as the single best game to ever be made.

Other Games

Call of Duty 2 was unplayable on DirectX 9 normal settings 1440x900 Stock. W/2gig ram it was still unplayable, but playable on DirectX7. W/overclock its now playable on DirectX9 again on normal.

Overclocked W/2gb

WC3- Blistering All high

Fable- Looks CRAZY AMAZING 1440x900, High, Very Playable

Civ4- Blistering All high

Soon installing CS-Source, and F.E.A.R
  2. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I had quake and cod2 installed on my mbp (2ghz/2gb ram/256 ram gpu) and it ran quite nice w/o oc'ing.

I'm playing cs source now w/ the gpu oc'ed to 430/430 and it's on avg 25-30 fps better. I'm running it on the 2nd to highest resolution w/ most things turned off or on low (model graphics high) and getting avg of 40-70 fps during some shootouts amoung 31 other players. My stress test at these settings are 100 fps.

The oc is really nothing to worry about. I have had no extra heat or graphical issues most people were concerned about. I played Oblivion and Titan Quest as well.
  3. tiselday macrumors member

May 25, 2003
    Do you mean that the MacBook Pro's fans never turn on even after long WoW sessions?

I play currently in my Powerbook 17" 1.33 and the fans are driving me crazy.

I am now in the market for a new Mac, an one of the requisites is that it has to be able to play WoW properly. My main concerns are FPS (I do 40 man raids) and noise, so any comments you could spill on the MacBook Pro are very welcomed!

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.