My MacBook Pro Thoughts (For You)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loveAffair, Mar 30, 2006.

1. loveAffair macrumors newbie

I ordered my MacBook Pro on March 1st, and with an Est Shipping Date of March 29th, and an Est Delivery Date of April 5th. Received it yesterday and was playing it for hours on in at home.

I am writing this to any prospective MacBook Pro buyers. I, for one, started to worry that when my MacBook Pro arrived, it might end up DOA, or with hardware problems. I will give my opinion and address any worries that people may have because of it being a Rev. A product.

First of all, I just wanna say this is my first mac, and my first major computer purchase in years. I did not have any previous laptop such as a PowerbookG4 to compare the MacBook Pro to but I still want to write an unbiased overview of what I have experienced so far. I've been using Macs for a little less than 2 years now so I'm not a completely new user here. And keep in mind, this is based on about 5 hours with the machine.

WHINING NOISE
    From when I first turned it on to having the desktop completely loaded, I'll admit that I was not keeping an ear out for the whining noise. BUT, if this 'whine' was so bad and unacceptable (as some people have deemed) to begin with, it should've caught my attention right off the bat. Then when I had everything loaded, I tried to hear the whine, no luck. I put my ears next to the left speakers and all I could hear is the fan. I had the MacBook Pro in my room, with the door closed, and still could not hear it, even when TRYING to hear it. Now, I did not go to the Apple Store or had any other MacBook Pros to compare it with so I cannot say that it wasn't there. So in the case of any sort of noise coming from the machine (other than loading a disc or when reading a disc), I could hear no peculiar noises. Only the fan. Now, you can definately hear the fan, but it's not enough for me to return my MacBook Pro. If the fan isn't making noise, it's broke right? For me, I just think of the fan as doing its job: keeping the cpu cool. If it's too quiet, it isn't working hard enough, that's just how I look at it. The whine/buzz noise was one of the biggest concerns I had. Nope, no complaints here.

AIRPORT RECEPTION
    My desktop PC with a wireless network card was horrible. It kept dropping connections. The MacBook Pro had AMAZING reception, and only dropped the connection once, which I quickly reconnected. I never had less than 4 bars. It is completely receptive of my Linksys WRT54G (B+G) router signal. The first thing I did was update all software with the Software Updater tool. It downloaded and installed with no dropped connections. For the record, I have OS X 10.4.5. Firmware version, that I would not know but would gladly let you know if anyone can tell me how I can find out. Again, no problems with Airport reception or constant uptime.

SLEEP
    I read that people were having trouble with the sleep function of the MacBook Pro. I put my laptop to sleep at least 5 times. The first time I did it, I closed the lid, and the hard drive (and fan maybe?) became completely quiet within about 5 seconds. I waited a good 10 seconds and opened the lid but the screen did not wake. I tracked around on the trackpad, with no luck of waking. Then I pressed space bar, nope. Then hit Return, then it woke. From the time I opened the lid to having the screen wake, was probably about 10 seconds. The screen woke, but the OS was unresponsive, I thought it froze. Then about 5 seconds later, everything was back to normal. I tried this about 2 more times, and I did not encounter any of the preceding problems. I left it sleeping overnight to test again. I woke up and opened the lid and it loaded everything before I could say "Holy cow it's gorgeous outside." No sleep problems here, and it also did not disturb any other functionality of the computer, such as Airport (did not drop connection or reset).

LID
    Right when I took the MacBook Pro out of the packaging sleeve, this was the first thing I looked for. I have read how the lid did not close flush. I.E.: left side higher than right side, lid tilts..etc. My MacBook Pro did not flush either. The right AND left was not flush; they both kinda was about 1mm (maybe less) up off from the wrist surface. The middle, where the latch is located, is lower than the sides when I get really critical and look at it. What are my thoughts? None, I am perfectly unfazed by it. Everything about the exterior of the MacBook Pro is just too good. I personally think this is very, very random. Some will have it very bad, some will barely have it like mines. The average person will never see this, ever. The MacBook Pro is too beautiful to let a mm of spacing ruin the entirety of its design.

KEYBOARD
    It's basically almost perfect. The eject button seems to be a very very slightly tilted up on the right side. I seem to have a problem with the Delete key though. Most of the time when I press it, I hit it more on the right half of the key and it doesn't work. But when I press it more on the left side of the key, it works. Maybe I'm not pressing it hard enough (which I don't wanna do, my MacBook Pro is new!), or the hardware under the key is located more towards the left side of the key, rather in the middle. If I press it hard enough (and not pressing it like a girly girl) then the button registers and works fine. I think it's just that the hardware key under the button is located more to the left. I'll just press harder next time. Not something to nitpick about, but some people might want to know.

SCREEN, TRACKPAD, ETC
    I know some people are disturbed and have complained about the screen being brighter at the bottom. Mines is also, but it is soo slight that, again, does not bother me. No horizontal lines (if there any was a problem like this on the MacBook Pros).

Trackpad works. But the button is not flush. It is raised up and seems pretty bad. Now what is the main concern of the button being raised? It being pressed against the screen when the lid is closed right? This was exactly what I was concerned about. So I closed the lid, and looked to tried to see if the button was pressed against the screen or not. It's about a hair from touching the screen, really. But, I currently am using the keyboard cover that came with the MacBook Pro and all should be well.

iSight works fine. Photobooth works.

CONCLUSION
    I am very very satisfied and happy with my MacBook Pro. It's my first Mac and first Apple product, but definately won't be my last. With this in mind, I am in no way a raw die-hard long-time user of Macs, or Apple products, for that matter. No company is perfect, no product is perfect. There will always be a few...um, bad 'apples'. My MacBook Pro is not perfect, nothing is. The trackpad button, by many mac enthusiasts would be considered "unacceptable". It's the one thing about my MacBook Pro that stands out as a problem in build quality, unless it's meant to be that way, which I wouldn't know. But the overall experience of this purchase was is still so good, that sending my MacBook Pro back because of a trackpad button would be utterly silly.

I understand different builds will differ in build quality, and some may think I am just a lucky few who has a problem-free MacBook Pro but I'm sure there are many others here who probably have a better mac than mines.

If you're someone who has held back because of the known issues, I understand why. But I don't think any of these issues are bad enough to really deter the functionality and overall experience. It was definately worth the wait for this thing. WOOO

I will post pics later tonight. If there is anything anyone wants me to try that won't damage my Mac, feel free to let me know. Pictures, software, etc. I want to try to make clear anything people want to know about the MacBook Pro.

Hope this helped anyone. Thanks for reading!

"One more thing..", when I wrote "there will always be a few bad 'apples'", there was a pun intended :D.....PUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA..ok that was dumb. have a good day

2. JonnyMac macrumors member

Glad to hear you're liking your MBP. I've owned one for about 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. The 2 Macs that I've loved the most were the original dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac and this MBP. The speed on the MBP feels snappier than even that PowerMac.

One thing I found last night was that the computer wouldn't go to sleep if I had my Bluetooth Mouse connected when putting it to sleep. Just a thought.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Horay, a satisfied macbook pro owner! My girlfriend has none of the problems with hers such as the examples given above. She does however have a screen that when dimmed seems to 'flicker'. She couldn't quite explain what is was like, but compared it to how a light bulb can sometimes be weird when connected to a dimmer switch. Anyone heard of this sort of thing, she's not that bothered, should she be?

Otherwise...top machine!

4. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

Thanks for the great report. I have had my 3rd one for 1 week. I had a warped lid on the last one, and this one warped also, just not as much. I enjoy the speed, and would recommend to anyone who asked.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

might want to update your sig;)

6. JonnyMac macrumors member

How come? I HAD a Dual 2.0 G5 but I sold it already in anticipation of getting an Intel-based one this Fall. So my signature is correct! ;)

7. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

the noise...

Can it be that the constant noise you're hearing comes from the harddisk, not the fan?

8. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

as much as i want to move to Intel Mac right now... i am still holding off my purchasing decision until UB version of MS Office and Adobe CS are released...

i feel bad having a powerful computer but knowing that the software i usually use are running at G3 speed... and by the time the UB versions of these software titltes are out.... i am very certain that newer Intel Macs (MBP, iMac, Mac Mini etc...) are alredy out... using Intel's latest / more powerful processor.... i feel like being a guinea pig really.

hence, despite the built-in isight + front row...i am still waiting and using my G5 for the time being

of course. i am scared of rev. A issues too...

9. loveAffair thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if you were referring to me lexfuzo, but I don't hear any noise, only fan noise. And it's not noise at all, it's just the fan spinning. I'm pretty positive it's the fan.

10. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

I just meant "noise" in the meaning of "any sound"...
    Any harddisk spinning makes some noise which sounds like a very silent fan. It is constant whereas the noise of a fan often is not. At least the fans I have change their speed and therefore their noise level.

Now to the point why I was asking: on my iBook i can hear the harddisk, always. The sound could be mistaken for a fan's, but it isn't because the fan is clearly louder than that when it comes on.

So I was wondering if it really is the fan or just the disk that you hear.

11. ironic23 macrumors 6502

do you get any noise from the HDD? i get a crackling noise from the HDD and am pretty sure it isn't the CPU whine or what not. everytime i open an app or have something loaded, the HDD spins and has this soft crackling noise.

12. loveAffair thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I might be mistaking it for the disk. But the amount of noise the machine makes doesn't bother me at all. I was just hoping this thread would convince any doubters or prospective buyers and give them a little insight on what I think about the regarded problems.

13. JonnyMac macrumors member

I don't use Adobe but of course, that is going to run slow. MS Office, on the other hand...it may take a bit longer to launch the program on my MBP, but once it's launched I don't see any noticeable difference in speed compared to it running on some of the other machines I've had, most recently an iMac G5/w iSight. With that said, if Adobe CS is heavily used, there is no reason to upgrade to an Intel Mac yet.

14. shortys408 macrumors regular

when listening for the wine, have your power cord unplugged and the isight not in use. Mine is silent unless the isight is on or the power cord is plugged in. If not it makes a pretty annoying wine. I heard there will be a software fix for this.

15. Poeben macrumors 6502

I would be more concerned with your computer melting and burning a hole through your desk running at that speed. :p

16. JonnyMac macrumors member

Funny, yesterday I noticed for the first time a whine/hissing sound and I couldn't pinpoint it coming from the computer and realized that the power plug was actually making the sound. When I unplugged it from the socket the sounds went away...

17. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Yes, thank you :)

It is good to hear success-stories as well. I am happy for you that you don't have any problems with your new computer.

I have to kick my iBook really hard (encode video >20 min., for example) that the fan kicks in. That's why I wondered why yours should be spinning permanently.

Have fun with your machine - let's hope that it stays as problem-free as it is.

18. skullsplitter macrumors member

Smooth

I was lucky to be one of the first in New Zealand to receive my MBP, there is huge backlog and if i didnt CTO i wouldnt have it. This thing is unbeleivable. It runs extremely well, and until this thread, had never noticed any noise bar DVD drive. It runs so quiet. AE is brilliant and M$ office loads and runs better than Dads PB 15" and home eMac of course. The technology in this thing just blows away anything Ive seen on other computers, this is possible the beginning of the end of Desktops. I also have appleBT keyboard and LogiG7 at desk for conveniene. Kj

19. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Good review, thanks.
    About the whining...

Attached Files:

• 801.gif
      801.gif
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  20. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Once my wireless starts working Ill love mine until then it stays sleeping and me pissed off.

21. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm glad to see a positive review rather than a negative one. :)
    You know, there's more to a computer than the Internet. Or wireless Internet, for that matter. :rolleyes:

22. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Not if all your uses require internet. As a switcher I am going to try my best to get everything working as I had hoped. If it doesnt then I will just have to go back to PC. I paid over $2500 for something I can barely use now. Its a dream to make a movie Im working on. Otherwise its frustrating. I want it so badly to work, and yet all attempts fail. Ill give it a few weeks though and am contacting apple tom. I refuse to pay $100 for a wider range router(just so I can use my laptop 20ft away) when a PC less than half the price can function as I need it to.

EDIT: well i tried reinstalling tiger in a desperate attempt to fix my airport. And now my macbook pro is inoperable. It gets to almost being done installing and freezes every time. I let it sit there with the "less than two minutes" for 15 times that and nothing. I hit eject out of curiousity and the DVD drive revs up and spins for a little while then stops. Then revs up again. This is not worth it all. I am hating myself for not getting an easily returnable stock set-up.

23. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Everything has changed. My wireless is fixed and I am getting full bars a floor up with door closed. I can even stream music off my PC downstairs. I love my mac now and take back anything negative i might have said out of frustration. I guess prayer even works for insignificant problems such as this because i didnt do much of anything to fix it.

24. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my MBP doesnt whine, has a slightly warped screen, but not enough to worry about, good wireless reception which doesnt drop out, perfect keyboard, and it the best computer which i have ever sat down to use.

25. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

My Lombard G3 Powerbook made an annoying whining sound whenever it was plugged in, but not otherwise. I'm surprised to hear that this problem is still present on the very latest hardware.