My MacBook Wont Start Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashaw075, Aug 20, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All, this morning my mac did something funny. I turned away for a few seconds and the next thing i knew my screen had turned black.I forced shut down by pressing the power button but now when i try to turn my macbook on the screen stays black and the L.E.D it constantly shinning! I have tried the options on the apple website but nothing seems to work. Also when i try to turn the caps lock on the little green light doesnt come on. Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious problem

Cheers

2. macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I'm Not sure but it Might be your logic board. Bring it to your nearest Apple Store.

3. macrumors 6502

this happened to me, about a week ago.. i started a thread and it has been fixed with no looking back thus far..
    Soo search for my thread, and heres the short version:

1. I reset the PRAM - this got the macbook to start directly after, then i put in the Install CD, and restarted...
    2. I had to reset the PRAM again in ordder to get it to start with the CD in..
    3. Repair disk permissions, and everything like that...

I did that, it took 25 minutes or soo i checked and repaired everything.. and it actually fixed something hahaaha

Sooo good luck!

let me know how it works out

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the info. The problem is that there is already a cd in there. I wanted to put the install cd but is there any way to get the cd out if the eject button isnt working?

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Hold the trackpad buttun whilst powering on. I guess you can do with with the combination to reset the PRAM; not sure.

7. macrumors 6502

Well when i reset the PRAM it powered on just fine, soo i would try reseting the PRAM and then get it going and THEN try to get the CD out.. Perhaps opening itunes and pressing eject on it there? i dunno

8. macrumors newbie

I encountered this same problem last night. Tho my screen didn't turn black, it just froze and showed a window telling me to restart. Then it just gave me the black screen and LED glowing all the time. Too bad I don't have any of the CD's here with me to test if I could start it. So I guess I'll just take it to Apple store tomorrow...

And to those who suggest reseting PRAM 1st - at least my MB doesn't respond when I press the capslock or numlock so I doubt it responds to any other key press...

9. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

That happened to me about five days ago (very close to when I installed that MacBook fan update), restarting with Open Apple + P + R allowed it to restart and things have been trucking along just fine.

However, my MacBook's screensaver/sleep password screen now refuses to show up. I can't figure out how to turn it back on. Will repairing permissions do anything? Is my computer trying to tell me something?

10. macrumors newbie

So I took my Macbook to apple store and the problem was that the memory sticks weren't properly in place. So you should check them.

And here I thought the LED was supposed to flash when there was problems with RAM, now I have to pay 35e from this...
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303363
    Code:
    Black screen, power LED on - POST or BootROM failure 
    Flashing power LED once per second - bad RAM, no RAM 
    Three flashes, a pause, and three more flashes (occurs continuously) - marginal RAM 

11. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22