Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfie1213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
My macbook is relatively new and, for some reason, the numbers and letters won't type. It seems like I've looked up every shortcut and I haven't found one that works. I found a post somewhere else like this but there wasn't an answer. The track pad and mouse work perfectly, and when I startup my keys will type in my password, but after logging in they stop typing. The F keys and the command and control and option keys also work along with delete and the arrows but enter and neither shifts work. I'm not sure if this is in the correct spot so if it isn't I apologize.

mcdavis

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
I have the same problem.

santa rosa MB

I've tried:

0. safe mode + repair permissions
1. PVRAM reset
2. SMC reset
3. archive & reinstall of leopard

Oddly, a boot from another disk shows the kb working, so it seems like a SW issue.

Other ideas?? this has to be more widespread...

Matari

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
This happened to my MacBook - not only wouldn't the keyboard work, but I couldn't drag and drop either.

I found out that I had put Mouse keys on (under Universal access) so turning them off sorted out my keyboard, but the drag and drop seemed to be a permissions problem.

I clean installed Leopard and now everything is fine.

Hope this helped.
:D

mcdavis

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Certainly not numlock, but thanks! :)

The caplock doesn't even light up.

The problem was fixed with me when I added a new user account, so it's account-specific.

Last thing I installed was VMware 1.1.2.

Very odd.

cruelmemory

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2007
a to get your keyboard working again

I bought a new MBP when the Early 08 models hit stores. I restored from a TimeMachine backup of my Core Duo MacBook and the same thing happened to me. It is a problem in the /user/(shortname)/library folder. Basically you have to replace it with a fresh copy. Here's how:
- Enable the root user from the password reset utility on the Leopard install disc.
- Boot to your normal OS. Login as root.
- Create a new test user and enable fast user switching.
- Switch to the test user. Ensure keyboard is working.
- Switch to the root user again. Remove /users/(shortname)/library by trashing it or moving it to the root desktop if you want to salvage anything from it.
- Copy /users/(test user shortname)/library to /users/(shortname)/
- Reset.
- Login to your normal user and test out your keyboard. This should work.
- OPTIONAL: rebuild library from library folder you copied to the root desktop.
- Logout all users. Login to root.
- Open Directory Utility in /Applications/Utilities.
- use this to disable the root user. This is for system safety.
- Reset.

This should get you up and going much faster.
(shortname)=user you wish to fix

Hope this helps. Remember to backup early and often!!!

madlito9

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
key board dies on macbook

The key board pad keeps dying when I am typing passwords. I would be able to click out before and it would work again now i have to re boot the computer. I am running 10.4.1, the only new hardware added was the iphone components. I have not found real answers.

maclane

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
how?

I bought a new MBP when the Early 08 models hit stores. I restored from a TimeMachine backup of my Core Duo MacBook and the same thing happened to me. It is a problem in the /user/(shortname)/library folder. Basically you have to replace it with a fresh copy. Here's how:
- Enable the root user from the password reset utility on the Leopard install disc.
- Boot to your normal OS. Login as root.
- Create a new test user and enable fast user switching.
- Switch to the test user. Ensure keyboard is working.
- Switch to the root user again. Remove /users/(shortname)/library by trashing it or moving it to the root desktop if you want to salvage anything from it.
- Copy /users/(test user shortname)/library to /users/(shortname)/
- Reset.
- Login to your normal user and test out your keyboard. This should work.
- OPTIONAL: rebuild library from library folder you copied to the root desktop.
- Logout all users. Login to root.
- Open Directory Utility in /Applications/Utilities.
- use this to disable the root user. This is for system safety.
- Reset.

This should get you up and going much faster.
(shortname)=user you wish to fix

Hope this helps. Remember to backup early and often!!!

Hi, I seriously suspect my mac to have same symptoms since some of my keys don´t work, I´m just not sure of how to do the above solution, since my english isn´t that good.... can someone please spell it out of some kind. I can also tell that my mac did this after using Alien Skin in Photoshop.

hope someone can help me out...

Maclane

shiropetto

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
My macbook is relatively new and, for some reason, the numbers and letters won't type. It seems like I've looked up every shortcut and I haven't found one that works. I found a post somewhere else like this but there wasn't an answer. The track pad and mouse work perfectly, and when I startup my keys will type in my password, but after logging in they stop typing. The F keys and the command and control and option keys also work along with delete and the arrows but enter and neither shifts work. I'm not sure if this is in the correct spot so if it isn't I apologize.
[doublepost=1481502988][/doublepost]Happened to me too! I got frustrated because i have tried restarting the MacBook several times since yesterday. Until I tried pressing the keyboard longer.. So basically the keyboard is so slow (idk why, eventhough my F1-F12 key work just fine).

Hope it helps! So happy that I just logged in finally..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.