My macbook's temp... (too hot)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlyelamo, May 30, 2006.

1. charlyelamo macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    I have tried to find the link to the coreduotemp stat but have been unable to find it. See if you guys can help me.

It is my first mac (MB 2.0 White) and I am really happy so far. except I find the machine to run pretty hot. Once I turn it on it climb until 67 Cº and never goes down that level. Witch maximum load I have seen 87 Cº, is this normal?

I does feel very warm on your legs.

As far of that, I am very happy of making the switch and love my new comp, although I would love to know if I should consider asking for a new one and return this.

Thanks in advance
  2. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
  3. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    I ment the statistics page, were people put their reading of their computers. I do have coreduotemp installed. Thanks anyways
  4. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    #4 And my MB runs around 56°C to 58°C with Safari, Mail and iCal open. With iTunes open it is usually around 60°C-62°C, and watching a video with WMP via Rosetta, my temps reach 70°C-74°C.
  5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Ohhh, if I could only count the number of times I've been told that about things that are obviously wrong :).
  6. charlyelamo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks guys. So I guess that I am not in for a change right. This seriously is the temp this cpu works at? Better get applecare soon enough...

Too hot for me anyways...
  7. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Keep complaining to Apple. It may get your MB replaced, but i doubt it will be much of an improvement. Seems like normal temps for a high-end laptop to me.
  8. Macer macrumors regular

May 2, 2006
    my imac G5 is running at 69c with safari open and azureus uploading
  9. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    Maximum Die-junc temperature of the Core Duo is 100 degrees C. Shutdown temperature is 125 degrees C.
  10. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    The Intel Core Duo data sheet specifies a maximum safe CPU temperature of 125C. So, yes, the "genius" is correct to tell you it is well within specs. So the issue is if you are comfortable with it.

Edit: dang, beaten to it again while doing the research ...
  11. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I had no trouble exchanging my MacBook that was consistently running around 75° C. It would shut-down once it hit about 83° C. It was awful. Of course the replacement has its own issue so...
  12. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    This is terrible...think about the resale value of these MacBooks later on...everyone will have to keep mentioning that it moo's, things are loose, things are clicking, it one will want them. How did Apple create this disaster? I thought when the MBP's started shipping they were bad...look at this! wow!
  13. keirnna macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2006
    I just bought my macbook last week, and it doesn't go over 62 C even with 100% load for more than 10 minutes. If you want to max both cores out type yes /dev/null in the terminal.
  14. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2006
    my macbook has been on for about 5 hours, and the last 1.5 hours its been sitting on my lap on top of 2 pillows, running a bunch of firefox tabs, adium, and itunes and its been below 60C the whole time..
    I actually recall it starting out at 38C when i put it on the pillows, then it cimbed to between 52 and 59 and stays steady..
    It went down in temp after that update, but it also is louder because of that update.. but i am used to both by now..
  15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    mine runs about 50-54C during websurfing and note taking with the brightness down to about 30%, its nice :) the fan update really helped.
  16. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I'm not sure that "nobody" will want them. They are very good machines...
  17. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2006
    no one will want them... Not true, just no one on these boards.
    No offence to anyone, but most people dont know **** about macs, or computers in general. I know a couple girls that buy laptops based solely on looks, just show them your macbook, and tell them it works and they would buy it.

Normal users dont care about moos and my gfs Acer gets WAY hotter then my macbook ever did, so its still step up. Just try to sell it to person how doesnt care if it moos, as long as it looks awesome :D

PS- Mine is now running at 34C