My Machine Will Not succesfully boot into Mac OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac-man, Jan 30, 2005.

1. mac-man macrumors newbie

Im running a G3 iMac with 10.3 installed and i have a mac os 9.2.2 system folder installed, It was copied of an external HD that i had on my system before. The full contents of my old hard drive are on my new hard drive. The machine will run classic fine when booted into OS X but , The machine cannot boot fully into Classic , i cant get past the Smiling Classic mac , it just sits there and doesnt do any thing at all ..soo i have to restart using the button on the side and holding down the "X" key to Force restart into OS X , why doesnt it wanna start in Classic ? It will run fine in OS X mode? Any Advice will be of help , thank you .

2. anubis macrumors 6502a

You said that you copied the folder from "the system" you "had before". Does this mean the iMac or what. It's important because many computers require special files to be in the classic system folder to boot from them, so if you just copied the folder from another computer, that computer may not have the special files. The special files have to do with ROM compatibility, so Mac OS X would not have a problem starting the classic environment, but you'd have trouble booting from it.

3. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

One possibility:

Did you reformat your hard drive when you installed Panther? If you formatted it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" then OS 9 won't be able to use it, especially not to boot from.

4. smada macrumors member

you need to rebless your os 9 system folder. you can do it from the terminal in os x.

use this command, replacing diskname with the name of your drive

sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/diskname/'System Folder" -label "diskname" -bootBlocks

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

6. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Thats not true, I loaded my iBook with Panther and formatted the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then recovered OS9 from the restore CD's and I can boot to it fine. The journaling just isnt enabled when you boot into OS 9.

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Yeah, looking at my stuff again, you're absolutely right. It's not a matter of format but checking a box that says 'Install Mac OS 9 Disk Driver.' According to the Disk Utility help, anyway. I just remembered that when I had 2 hard drives in my Quicksilver, I could only see one when I booted in 9 and didn't even think for a second why that was.

Note: the board doesn't seem to want to take this message. I hope I'm not making dupes...

8. mac-man thread starter macrumors newbie

abit more info ..

ok , heres what all happened , Im kinda new to mac's , and i love them a lto more then you can think of now tho , but neway I had an imac G3 @ 350MHZ machine with 320 MB Ram. It came with Mac OS 9.2.2 when i got it ,It had a 30 GB HD. I had tried installing OS X over top of 9 Using the CD and rebooting from it , but all i got is kernal panic's. SO i thought i couldnt run panther. But i was wrong the 30 GB HD failed a few months ago , and slowly burnt it self out , soo i took a 250 MB Lacie USB Drive and copied all Mac OS 9 Software , like The whole thing. I then put a 80 GB Drive back in the mac, I loaded mac os 9 , made the disk image , then shutdown , then , I stuck in panther and Installed fully , this amazed me since i didnt think it would install. Then Took the Lacie Drive and put all the Mac os 9 Stuff in a folder back on the 80 GB HD .Anyway I have Panther 10.3.2 now with the folder from my OLD HD With ALL the stuff from it. It will run Classic in Desktop but not boot. I hope this more detailed info can help you, thanks fer all ur help.

By The way since im a bit new to mac in all , Zapping the P-Ram is like Reading a German book to me , I just dunn get it ... sorry but u might have to explain things like that ...

9. mac-man thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i tried the Blessing thing , but nothing really happened , I saved it but still i restarted and i still seen the smilen Classic mac and it stops there.