My mac's i've owned in 2 years and the future

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by liketom, Aug 4, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    My lovely Wife pointed out that i spend alot of money on Apple , at first i thought no i don't but then i thought errrrr maybe i have lol

12" iBook G3 800mhz - my first Mac
    17" eMac G41.25ghz - my 2nd Mac for Video and music
    15" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz- as a replacement for my 12" iBook and to be mobile

12" iBook G4 1.2ghz- my X-mas Pressy to myself 04
    Macmini G4 1.25ghz- got this on release in Jan 05
    Macmini G4 1.25ghz- My 2nd Macmini was for my Mrs
    macmini G4 1.42ghz- my mate steve sold this to me at a realy cheap price
    12" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz - to replace my iBook G4 so i could take it with me on the road for my honeymoon

excluding the other Mac's i've owned

Powermac G3 350 mhzBlue/White
    PowerBook 233mhz Wallstreet

Then theres iPod's

iPod 10Gb
    iPod 3g 20Gb
    iPod Mini 1g 4Gb Silver
    iPod Shuffle 512mb
    iPod Shuffle 1Gb
    iPod Shuffle 512mb ( gift for my brother in law)
    iPod Mini 4Gb Pink (for the Mrs)
    iPod 20gb Colour screen ( current model to replace my iPod Shuffle that i lost)

Apple Display 20"
    Airport Express
    BT Mouse
    Wired Keyboard

Excuding iTunes Music Store !!! as i can't keep count that far lol

all this and i only Switched in 2003 -

My next Mac's are gonna be

17" PowerBook
    Intel offering maybe at Macworld 06

Now if you add up the prices of all of them they come to a bit of money but as i pointed out to my Mrs - i buy 1 then sell it on ebay when i wanna get a new one then buy 1 or 2 then sell one when i get bored of it and so on hehe

Any one else just like me ?
  2. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2005
    I kow what you mean, althought I don't understand why you have so many portable? Why would you need both an ibook and a powerbook at the same time ?

I have switched last year at the end of August, I have since then purchase the following

1-Rev C superdrive 12" Pbook
    I got an ipod 20gig G4 sold it

2-I sold the 12" and got a 15 inch

Maybe 3- In a very near future(*cough* this weekend maybe *cough*) I will be ordering myself a 2.0ghz powermac.

One thing I really appreciate with macs, well since I have been using them is that their machines are so aimed towards productivity because everything works so well.

Since I have a mac I have been productive having learned several new applications, I'm loving it!

Maybe that is why I get new macs all the time and with a powermac I should be good until revB of mactels are out!

Basically I am like you I always buy new equipement, sell the old one, but I need to slow that down since with macs upgrading every 4 months isnt necessary :p
  3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    Wow! Wonderful cololection you got there. Which ones are still in your posession and which ones are sold?

Hm, I think I'm becoming a little collector slowly but certanly. Currently I have the hardware in my sig, but you can add to that the 12" pb rev A I had for 2 years and recently gave to my father, as it was replaced by a 15 incher cause I'm working as a graphic designer and really need the extra screen space. My girlfriend has a orange 233 or 300 mhz ibook. And I share my atelier in our house with a friend who recently bought a 17" imac 2 ghz. We are all sharing the internet with an airport extreme base station. Then there is a Mac SE from 1990 or something, it's currently at one of my fathers friends who wanted to play around with it a little, but it will end up staying at my place.

I'm saving on a 20" or maybe 23" cinema display right now and maybe I'll get a rev B mactel powermac or powerbook (whatever my needs are then) in 2-3 years. Until that my pb will last me as my main computer I guess.
  4. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I hear ya. I've recently had to address the problem I have with buying and selling new computers too quickly, in one recent case I kept an iBook for only one month before selling it and buying a new machine. I'm thinking I need to join AA (Apple Anonymous) and take a closer look at this problem. I recently had my 3 month old Power Mac G5 on the old chopping block and before selling I snapped out of it and decided to get my $2000's worth and use this machine for at least a few years. Everytime I sell a computer I am losing hundreds of dollars and it's just absurd. Now having said that, I may indeed be picking up a nice 12" PowerBook to compliment the G5. :)
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Heres my list of Apple stuff in the past 2 years...

2 - Powermac 6100s (parted out on FeeBay)
    DP 867 PM G4 (still own)
    Mac Mini 1.25 (still own)
    15" PB 867 - (owned for 4 weeks, sold because of financial crisis)

Shuffle 512 (still own)
    30GB 3G (sold)
    40GB Photo (still own)

While not too crazy with purchases, I may be looking into laptops sooner than later - waiting for the CFO's approval...
  6. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2005
    Burton michigan
    to many macs????

we own- Mac Mini, iMac G3, iMac G4,Powermac G5, ibook G4, iBook G3,

ipods- 1 mini, 3 20 gig ipods (one second gen two fourth (I think)

soon to be added- Powerbook G4-Silver ipod mini 4gb
  7. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    I just bought an Athlon X2 (less than a week old) and am bored already with it and want to sell it for a mac desktop. So yes there are other people like you :)

I want a really really quiet computer. No fans if i can help it, or ones that only come on when needed. Might try the Zalman reserator before i sell the AMD though :S
  8. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    Sure, I would love to get a new mac every month, but its just not practical in any way shape or form. It's seems that my family is the opposite of you guys...... We've been on a mac since 1994 and had only 2!!!!! A Preforma 550 from 1994 and an iMac G3 from 1999!!! I recently bought a iBook for myself, but the rest of my family still uses the old iMac. How could you go through 10 macs since only 2003?? I've been through 3 since 1994!!!! I value my money too much to just throw it away every month on something I don't need. My iBook still feels quite new to me even though I got it in Nov. 04. Maybe you guys do have a problem? I just don't see any reason to have more than one computer per person.