My Mac's weather predictions.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Qoxiivi, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

The weather predictor on Dashboard is well off. It's saying that the high in London today is 17c (62.6f). Anyone in London at the moment will know that to be a lie. Is this the same on other people's computers? Like in the US or Canada?

Now I come to think of it, how can I be sure the calculator's right? Or the calendar? The world just became a more scarry and uncertain place...

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Probably because it's looking at London, Kentucky or somewhere.

If that is the case, flip it over, type in London and then hit the tab button, it will validate the city and bring up other 'London' options. Choose "London, United Kingdom" and you should get some colder, but more accurate, weather.

3. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

You were right as well. It's now 7c - which is more like it.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

On the subject of the weather widget, is there some way to make it update quicker? When I bring up Dashboard sometimes it updates to the current temp and sometimes it doesn't. I sometimes have to try several times to get an update. I have a DSL line over wireless.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not sure if it'll bring the data back any quicker but you can do Command R to force it to refresh (also makes it do an interesting swirly effect)

6. dcv macrumors G3

I hacked my weather widget a while back so that it displays the time at which it was last updated... you can find the details here

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I very much do not like the weather widget. Idea is awesome, graphics good, but actual information terrible. Its forecasts suck, more than the usual inept weather man, but obviously this is due to the source provider. Is there any way to change the provider? I love the pic below where the current temp is lower than the low? I've also had highs lower than the low? WTF just crappy crappy crappy info. Nice GUI though

Attached Files:

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Every night before she goes to bed, the woman calls down the stairs to me:

"What's the weather going to be tomorrow? Check the widget!"

So, we're real weather widget people. And though its performance can be iffy, I mean, we can't ask so much of a widget. It's approximate enough.