My magic mouse keeps losing connection >.>

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Catastrophe., Aug 9, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Catastrophe.

This is really annoying me. A lot of the time my magic mouse will lose connection for no reason at all :/ A message on the screen will say "connection lost" and then I have to move the mouse around and click it loads just for it to connect again.

I'm tempted to use my old Technika USB mouse again as this is annoying me so much.

2. macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Have you checked the battery? Low battery often times causing that too. If the problem persist, well then maybe there's a problem. Any radio interference device on the table?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Catastrophe.

my battery's at 82% at the moment :/ I have a radio alarm clock by my bed but that's quite far away from my desk.

4. macrumors 603

What year computer? My wife's older MacBook Pro had this problem, but her new system hasn't.

5. macrumors member

Wireless drives me Sane. Keep a wired mouse of your choice in the extra port on your keyboard. I keep a wired mouse in BOTH ports!!

6. macrumors regular

the two most ocommon causes are
    1. low batteries (obvious i know)
    2. a new bluetooth device
    3. Using "underpowered" rechargeable batteries. Unless they are the apple rechargeable just use normal double A's, for some reason that mouse hates all my rechargeable b's

I had a dinovo edge keyboard that my iMac decided it did not like and it caused the mouse and other devices to lose connection.

Another idea is go into bluetooth settings and set the mouse as a favorite.

7. macrumors 68020

kazmac

also check

if the batteries are properly aligned inside the mouse, this caused me grief to no end. Also turn it on and off a couple of times and see if that works.

I will say that if I have the magic trackpad on, my 2010 iMac's blue tooth spazzes out and I lose the connection with the magic mouse. Another reason why I don't use the trackpad unless the mouse is unresponsive.

8. macrumors newbie

Fixing Magic Mouse Connectivity Issues

I recently had this problem too.

I put in new Apple rechargeable batteries and the mouse started working perfectly. So then I looked at my old Apple batteries. I noticed a slight indent on the negative side of the battery where it pressed against the contacts inside the mouse and on the battery charger. It seems that batteries were slipping in their position inside the mouse. There was also an issue when I went to recharge the batteries. The battery charger light would blink red.

SOLUTION:
    I took a file to the negative end of the battery to flatten out the indented side. I did not get it completely flat but when I put it back in the charger it immediately started charging correctly and worked perfectly in the magic mouse.

9. macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I have a good tip, ditch the magic mouse, it stinks.
    Seriously. I used it for 6 months only because its so darn sexy, I felt I had to to make my imac look nicer. But it´s like wearing too tight fashion jeans because they are cool, but eventually your groin will go nuts. Once I switched to a nice Logitech mouse my life felt better. Less cool but 10 times more comfortable. End of discussion ;)

10. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

My Apple Bluetooth Keyboard loses connection intermittently, sometimes every minute or so, then it won't for a day or two. No rhyme or reason to when it does or doesn't do it. My batteries are always charged, so that's not the problem. I'm thinking about just using my wired keyboard and selling my wireless POS..... Extremely frustrating to say the least....

11. macrumors newbie

I had similar problem with a brand new Apple mouse. It was losing connection with my MBP every couple of minutes and then restoring it after clicking or moving around. I tried several different types of baterries (alkalines and rechargeables) and the effect persisted. I took the mouse back to the store and exchanged it for a second one. The second mouse has been working perfectly! It even connects when my notebook is in adjacent room. :)

12. macrumors 65816

I've had this problem with three different Magic Mice on two different Macs, despite playing around with the batteries and how they're installed. This problem seems to occur most often at startup, but there've been other times when the connection dropped while the mouse was just sitting on the desktop. Although I like the touch sensitive surface on the Magic Mouse, I don't think it's worth the problems. When I get my next iMac (!), I think I may go for a third-party mouse.

13. macrumors 6502a

The only thing about my iMac which I dislike. I quickly put my MM back in its box once I found out how it devoured batteries. I much prefer my Logitech Laser - one AA Duracell lasting at least 6 months versus 2 Duracell AAA batteries in MM lasting 3 weeks. Added to which the Logitech is far and away the most pleasant to use ergonomically.

14. macrumors member

I got tired of my issue with the apple keyboard and mouse and ditch those for a logitech unifying keyboard k700 and performance mouse mx.

15. macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse keeping losing connection is mostly due to unfitting batteries

I had the same problem and I made of my own solution to it. It is very simple.
    Using a Q-tip cotton swab, and break it in middle. put the two halves in between batteries with cotton side to two ends. Then close the lid, sound and tight. This prevent any small shaking when you move the mouse and cause the batteries losing contact.

Good luck and happy using Magic Mouse.

16. macrumors regular

praktical

Magic Mouse losing connection

An interesting post you made here about rechargeable non Apple. I have both a Magic mouse and keyboard both using rechargeable Duracell batteries and have never had any issues with losing connectivity. I've been using them with my Mac Mini.

17. macrumors member

I have to agree. I never really liked the magic mouse. Just didn't feel comfortable at all and that little "ball" on top to scroll? Who thought that up? Looks good but not very ergonomic. I ended up getting a logitech mouse as well a couple of years ago and have never looked back!!!

18. macrumors regular

I noticed this happening a lot. But not with a my Late-2012 iMac as it hasnt arrived yet. I had a Mid-2011 iMac and it would do the same thing. The bluetooth keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Track Pad. They would all have problems with losing connection. Sometimes it would display (Disconnected) and sometimes it would just not work. Every time though it would display (Connected) when it reconnected. I just saw it as a minor inconvenience. Batteries were always full charge, ones that shipped with it.

19. macrumors newbie

Glue them in with Blu-Tack!

I find a little sausage of Blu-Tack under each battery sticks them into their cradles perfectly. Don't put padding on the outside, it will curve the access door outwards, making it more likely to drag on your desk and even get permanently out of shape. Just glue them in!

20. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I had the same problem. Even though it said my batteries were still nearly full charge, I swapped them out and my Magic Mouse has been working great since then.

21. macrumors regular

get the trackpad?

22. macrumors newbie

Mouse connection problems

The connection loss between my wireless mouse and I Mac stopped when I
    Moved the I pad out of range. Didn't have anything to do with the batteries.

23. macrumors newbie

Magic Mouse Bluetooth connectivity resolution!

My Magic Mouse started to lose connection to the iMac for no apparent reason! I read all kinds of solutions but none fixed the problem and I did not want to buy anything unless absolutely necessary!

Obviously I had some kind of interference issue - caused by what?

Then I noticed I had inadvertently placed a metal stapler on my desk - under the iMac and between the computer and the Magic Mouse! OMG!

Taking the stapler out of range I simply restarted the iMac and the issue was totally resolved! The Magic Mouse is 100% and fully functional! It was just that simple.

24. macrumors member

LOL - A stapler!! In this day and age can Apple not design a mouse that doesn't suffer a breakdown in the presence of a stapler??

I spent £3500 on a top end Mac Retina, my first ever Apple computer to add to my iPad and iPhone, and the so called Magic Mouse often drops connection and takes an absolute age to get it reconnected.

It should not be an issue what I have surrounding it which is most items that we would all have - mobile, DECT phone, TV.

Maybe that's why it's called a Magic Mouse. It fails to operate like a normal reliable wireless mouse does!

I have to say that I'm not feeling the love that most seem to have for their Mac's.

25. macrumors 604

It's called physics and interference from other metallic objects.