Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Georgie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I think my MBP is haunted. I swear. Okay, so some setting somewhere is causing iTunes to start on its own, spontaneously, within one or two minutes of quitting the program. It will not stay off. It always re-starts for some reason. Anyone know why this could be?

OS X and iTunes are completely up to date. I've turned off automatic podcast syncing and automatic update checking in iTunes. Something else is triggering iTunes to run. I do have an iPod but it's rarely plugged in, and it's not plugged in right now and I'm still having seeing the spontaneous starting. I have five Login Items: iTunesHelper, iCalAlarmScheduler, Stickies, smcFanControl, and Quicksilver?

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
That is rather strange. Have you tried seeing what happens when you disconnect from the internet? I can't think of anything that could trigger iTunes from the net, but I suppose pulling the plug is worth a try. Also, do you have any folder actions, scripts, quicksilver actions etc, running that might trigger iTunes? There are a million ways to open apps, so if you're the tweaking type, it's possible that some automation is doing something it's not supposed to.

Georgie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
That is rather strange. Have you tried seeing what happens when you disconnect from the internet? I can't think of anything that could trigger iTunes from the net, but I suppose pulling the plug is worth a try. Also, do you have any folder actions, scripts, quicksilver actions etc, running that might trigger iTunes? There are a million ways to open apps, so if you're the tweaking type, it's possible that some automation is doing something it's not supposed to.

No, I actually avoid tweaking, though I agree it seems like I may have inadvertantly. I only use Quicksilver because I'd rather type in an application's name and hit Enter to run it instead of down-then-enter to run it. Otherwise I don't use much of it's supposedly-remarkable functionality.

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
A friend of mine was experiencing the same problem, along with a lot of network connection issues on a Macbook Core 2 Duo that he bought new. With all the problems he ended up just exchanging it for a new one. I realize this doesn't solve your problem, just pointing out that someone else has experienced it as well.

Mysterious, indeed.

Georgie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
A friend of mine was experiencing the same problem, along with a lot of network connection issues on a Macbook Core 2 Duo that he bought new. With all the problems he ended up just exchanging it for a new one. I realize this doesn't solve your problem, just pointing out that someone else has experienced it as well.

Mysterious, indeed.

That's interesting. I have some network issues, but I think they're normal. It almost never automatically connects to a network, but it seems them and I can select one. Sometimes it takes a looong time before I can use the internet. It says I'm connected but five minutes later for all intents and purposes I'm not, trying to connect to a website for example I get a not-reachable error. But six minutes later it'll start working. This is a sporadic problem though, the kind that's difficult to convince anyone there's anything wrong. Heck I'm not sure there's anything wrong and this isn't just normal.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Something else is obviously trying to use it, do you have any music/media playing programs running. Or perhaps, something like the iTunes widget open?

If all else fails, you could post a list of your running processes here, and we could take a look to see if anything's wrong.

Georgie

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Something else is obviously trying to use it, do you have any music/media playing programs running. Or perhaps, something like the iTunes widget open?

If all else fails, you could post a list of your running processes here, and we could take a look to see if anything's wrong.

You're RIGHT! It's the iTunes widget. How dumb of me, I forgot it was running. Mystery solved. "If it weren't for those darn kids!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.