Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Circus Monkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
woot!

I'm completely new to macs, so my question is, what is the first thing i should do when i get it? How can I familarize myself with OSX?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Congratulations on your first Mac!

1) If you're going to install Windows, let it wait for a few days. Familiarize yourself with Mac OS X first.
2) Play around with iLife and see how cool it is.
3) Import your music and your contacts, etc.
4) Download some important apps like Firefox (if you don't want to use Safari), flip4mac and Seashore (you can download Seashore here or GIMPShop, which is a Universal Binary.
5) If you don't have Microsoft Office:mac and you need an Office suite, try out iWork; it's pretty cool. Some other alternatives are OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice. You can check out Version Tracker for some other cool apps.
6) Familiarize yourself with the Apple keyboard layout and the differences between the Command and the Windows buttons, etc. You can see a list of Apple keyboard buttons here along with a nice list of keyboard shortcuts that can really make life easier. If you have a printer available, you should print them out IMHO so you can keep them handy.
7) If you don't quite know what a Universal Binary is yet, check out that page for a nice explanation and make sure you try to get the UB version of apps you download. (Also check out Rosetta for more information.) Bookmark the List of Universal Binaries page for reference.

*While I believe the Gimp is a better app, it's not a Universal Binary yet. Seashore is, so it runs much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.