My MBP kills my internet connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matttrick, Sep 21, 2006.

1. matttrick macrumors 6502

I dont even know how this is logically possible. ive been using a netgear wireless router for a while, with no problems. since ive gotten my mbp, after 10-15 mins of it being connected to the network, my network stops responding and i have to reset the modem/router. it doesnt just stop responding for the notebook, but for any computer on the network. has anyone ever heard of this??

2. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Do you have UPnP turned on on the router? Maybe try turning it off. What about firmware upgrades, are you up to date?

3. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

firmware is up to date. ill check about the UPnP thing though. what exactly does this do? this problem is so strange!

4. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

5. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

6. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

7. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

yes

8. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

interestingly, there is NO problem if i conect the mbp via ethernet.

also, this problem does not occur when i join the network at my parents house wirelessly.

9. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Hmmm, so how exactly is your network setup? I mean like is the wireless router also the DSL/Cable Modem? Or is the modem separate. And, is the router set to automatically dial in to your service provider?

10. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a cable connection to a modem, and then to a router that distributes access. one pc is wirelessly connected, another is wired.

11. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

In your network preferences is your MBP set to disconnect while idle or disconnect after a certain period of time? I can't really recall what the exact thing is. Do you connect via PPPOE?

12. matttrick thread starter macrumors 6502

the connection is dhcp. and its not just the mac thats disconnecting, the whole network goes down. no other computers can access it.