Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I dont even know how this is logically possible. ive been using a netgear wireless router for a while, with no problems. since ive gotten my mbp, after 10-15 mins of it being connected to the network, my network stops responding and i have to reset the modem/router. it doesnt just stop responding for the notebook, but for any computer on the network. has anyone ever heard of this??

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
matttrick said:
I dont even know how this is logically possible. ive been using a netgear wireless router for a while, with no problems. since ive gotten my mbp, after 10-15 mins of it being connected to the network, my network stops responding and i have to reset the modem/router. it doesnt just stop responding for the notebook, but for any computer on the network. has anyone ever heard of this??

Do you have UPnP turned on on the router? Maybe try turning it off. What about firmware upgrades, are you up to date?

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
mmmcheese said:
Do you have UPnP turned on on the router? Maybe try turning it off. What about firmware upgrades, are you up to date?

firmware is up to date. ill check about the UPnP thing though. what exactly does this do? this problem is so strange!

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
interestingly, there is NO problem if i conect the mbp via ethernet.

also, this problem does not occur when i join the network at my parents house wirelessly.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Hmmm, so how exactly is your network setup? I mean like is the wireless router also the DSL/Cable Modem? Or is the modem separate. And, is the router set to automatically dial in to your service provider?

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
i have a cable connection to a modem, and then to a router that distributes access. one pc is wirelessly connected, another is wired.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
In your network preferences is your MBP set to disconnect while idle or disconnect after a certain period of time? I can't really recall what the exact thing is. Do you connect via PPPOE?

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
darkcurse said:
In your network preferences is your MBP set to disconnect while idle or disconnect after a certain period of time? I can't really recall what the exact thing is. Do you connect via PPPOE?

the connection is dhcp. and its not just the mac thats disconnecting, the whole network goes down. no other computers can access it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.