My MBP suxx in CSS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chapaev, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Chapaev macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (CD 2,16 / 1GB / 256MB) and i am playing Counter-Strike: Source in my LAN. I use Bootcamp & Windows XP SP2. I even play with 1280*768 and all settings to low/off.

And the performance suxx. There are usually up to 26 players on the server. But even if I am one-on-one with the enemy and we shoot each other - FPS becomes red lows down to less than 30 frames.

Guys with worse hardware have no troubles. Or can't Mac for 2k$ handle a 2 year old game normally even on low settings? It SUXX!

:mad:

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Define *sucks* please. What frame rates are you getting? What version of DX are you using? You should be getting better frame rates.

3. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

I think so too. I am using DirectX 9 (just updated it via MS site).

It s about 50-60 when i am not in the battle and drops down to red(30-40) when i am in. And with such FPS it's extremly hard to make headshots and aim good... I can't even use sniper rifle(AWP)... U know...

It's on widescreen with 1280*800/1440*900 - the difference is only when i am not in the battle(it raises up to 100). In the battle I get horrible red(30-40).

BTW, video stress test puts many setting to High. And FPS is really high until I see any person in my screen

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You're doing something wrong. Sorry, no other way to say it. Either you're lying about your settings, you're running summat pretty hefty in the background, or you haven't installed the drivers yet

5. adiosk8 macrumors regular

I agree, you are doing something wrong. I have a 2.16 core 2 duo with 128 megs of video ram and I get 60 - 80 fps almost all of the time. I used to overclock the video card, but I really didnt notice much of a difference...

6. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

Why must i lie?! I want to play the game! I installed all drivers from CD which Bootcamp made.

I can my screenshots of my settings but i can find a printscreen button on my keyboard =) is it emulated via fn+smth here?

7. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Don't know if this is recommended, but since the Windows bootcamp install is a normal Windows, have you downloaded the latest graphic card drivers from ATI? I dunno, I usually don't trust the "generic" ones...

Also, try to turn off the fullscreen anti-alias, that seems to be a spec killer from what I've heard :) Put everything to MAX except the FSAA, disable it selecting "none" and tell us how it worked (or not).

Anyway, don't say stuff like "IT SUXX", it's harder to help when people are already giving up on their own cause :D hope it helps!

8. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

A couple of things that should help...

(bear in mind this is what I've done on my Core (1) Duo MacBook Pro, 2.0GHz)

- Install the latest Omega Drivers for ATI (these recognise the MBP's ATI chipset and provide the latest driver support from ATI)

- Use ATI Tools to set the graphics system's core and memory clocks to their manufacturer's specification. Apple (and many other manufacturers of laptops) set the default clocks of the graphics system deliberately low to conserve battery life. The x1600 in my MBP was designed to run at 470/470 MHz (core/mem). I use ATI Tools to set the clocks to that speed. The machine's much more power-hungry in this state, but if you're gaming, you're likely to be on AC power anyway.

9. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW My Computer -> Props shows me "Geniune Intel(R) CPU T2600 @ 2,16GHz 994 MHz, 0,98 GB of RAM". Looks like CPU isn't working at max.

Now will try Omega drivers... Thanx...

10. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Ah, don't worry about that 994MHz figure. As soon as anything demanding runs, the machine immediately ramps up to the full 2.16GHz. That's another battery-saving measure -- Intel SpeedStep. Try running something a bit demanding from the desktop (perhaps watching an HD video or something) and check the My Computer > Properties page again.

I'm using the latest Omega drivers absolutely fine on my MBP.

11. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

wait, you have 1GB of what and 256MB of what?

huh?

:confused: :eek:

a little more CORRECT info could help :rolleyes:

12. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Woah there on the CAPS for a second :D

1GB RAM, 256MB of Video RAM. Overall, with the 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, the machine should be nicely able to play CS:Source.

My MBP (1.5GB RAM, 128MB Video RAM, 2GH Core Duo) plays Half Life 2 with full HDR enabled at native resolution - 1440x900 at a good frame rate, so this guy's MBP should be performing well.

13. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

1 GB of RAM and 256 MB Video Memory.

I installed Omega ATI and overclocked to 470/450 but in critical moments i still get red FPS. May be I should get one more GB of RAM?

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You shouldn't have to – somewhere something seems wrong. Though I do have to ask – what map are you playing on? I've heard de.dust gives stupidly low frame rates no matter what and other maps give far better FPS.

15. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a just a core duo, not 2. Huh... BTW I don't have a STEAM version. Tommorow I hope to by one and check the performance.

16. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, on dust it's horrible. On the others it's better. I have low FPS when there are lots of people or some action in the game. But the game is still uncomfortable. However with my skill i manage to get to the top of our stats =0)

17. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

hmmm seems that you have more than enuff to run it, 1gig of ram and 256mb of video....hmmmm, try running your CS at lower res. and booting from windoez

18. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

OK.

I am currently having Mac OS X with Bootcamp and Windows XP SP2 with drivers from Bootcamp CD. I also got DirectX(9) & ATI Omega drivers. All software is UPDATED and it is LATEST.

My Macbook Pro is Core Duo 2,16; 1GB RAM; ATI X1600 256MB. In Windows My Computer Propetries shows "Geniune Intel(R) CPU T2600 @ 2,16GHz 994 MHz, 0,98 GB of RAM". The swap file is 1,5-3GB. My Video Card runs at 310/292 as ATI Tray tools says.

Today I bought a STEAM version of CSS and now I am installing it. After I will finish installation and updating I will test it and write here.

19. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

i keep thinking your doing web design each time I click on this link

20. Chapaev thread starter macrumors newbie

?

The STEAM version with latest updatetes runs fine but on low settings. On dust-maps it lags a little.