My MBP's spacebar just started squeaking :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FragTek, Jul 1, 2006.

1. FragTek macrumors 6502

Why oh why did my spacebar have to start squeaking, it's really starting to piss me off. It seems to only squeak if I hit it in a certain spot but of course it's the spot that my right thumb slaps it every time :(

Has anyone else experienced this problem, if so is there any easy way to fix it short of replacing the keyboard (which is pretty easy but that means downtime while Apple has it :().

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

could just be that key. if you have an apple store close they'll probably replace just that key for you, or you could try to clean underneath it and see if thats the reason for the squeaking.

3. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

They can replace single keys eh? Didn't know they could do that :) I do have an Apple store nearby, maybe I'll make a trip in tomorrow and see if they can have a look at it for me. I have the AppleCare Warranty so they shouldn't have any questions about fixing it for me.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah on the Ti books you couldn't replace single keys, but since the AL enclosures you can. i know i was able to pop off keys on my 12" Powerbook. so yeah they should have spare ones and could change it out for you i'm sure.

5. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I pop the key off myself without destroying it, and then put it back in place without the need for any special tools or anything?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah you should be able to, before doing so, check out www.pbfixit.com and they'll give you a better idea of how to remove the keys in one of their guides i believe.

7. FragTek thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the Apple service manual for the 17" MBP, do u think it's outlined in that?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

from pbfixit's 12' G4 guide: