My mid-life crisis...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dcv, Nov 21, 2005.

1. dcv macrumors G3

Okay, so here's the thing...

I have *never* been to a gym in my life. It's just not me. I am possibly the most unfit bird in the whole of London. However I've come to the realisation that I need to do something about my ever expanding J.Lo. :eek: (working from home does not help, nor does comfort eating in this cold weather)

So last weekend, whilst on a shopping spree in Notting Hill, I somehow found myself in Sweaty Betty, a funky sportswear shop... and walked out having spent £90 on lycra :eek: And this morning, I actually phoned the gym at the end of my road and spoke to a membership consultant, who suggested I try out the "Body Pump" class tonight at 7.

OMG... so what is going on with me? I think I've been abducted by aliens. I swore blind I would never do the gym thing... in my mind gyms are too full of the 'beautiful people'. I'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

What the hell is body pump anyway? This is gonna be really embarrassing isn't it? Someone please reassure me that I'm not about to make a complete and utter fool of myself... :(

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm not sure I'd have chosen a Body Pump class (unless it's aimed at beginners) if you think you're that unfit.

There's nothing worse than ending up being the only person huffing/puffing and redfaced while the instructor shouts things at you.

Having been v gymmy a couple of years ago (and needing to get back to it), I'd say join the gym proper (it's much less full of beautiful people than the classes), start walking and then jogging on the treadmill, use the eliptical trainer and learn how to use one of those big balls to improve your core muscles rather than going on the weight machines.

And it's hardly a mid-life crisis - quarter to third-life?

3. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Oh my god... now i'm dreading it even more :eek:

I did tell the guy I spoke to I'd never done the gym thing before and he suggested classes would be better than using the machines :confused:

4. iGav macrumors G3

Of course he'll say that... he wants to shout at you because he's a Gym Nazi! :eek: :p

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I was very intimidated by our gym in DC (full of lean, muscled gay men), but our current gym is full of a broad spectrum of people, which is nice.

We go every morning at 5 a.m, I have a good 1/2 hour steam in the steam room, do all my showering and stuff there, and when I come home I'm all ready for work.

If you do join, it would probably be a good idea to hire a trainer for a few sessions to get a work out plan for you. (We do two days of weights and three days of cardio).

I imagine I will only do weights once I am allowed by the doctor to run again, though. Freaking back surgeons.

Try it - you'll like it!

6. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Oh god, I'm so naïve... total gym n00b. :eek:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You don't know what it's going to be like until you try do you, I had exactly the same fears of going, but they're not full of the 'beautiful people' as you imagine in your head. Of course they are there, but mostly it's just people trying to 'get fit'.

It'll be fine, you will be fine, don't wowwy so much! :cool:

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Whatever you do, I hope you're not going to be posting any pictures to this thread... ;)

Like you, I've never been to a gym myself – although over the past six months I admit to having toyed with the idea of joining one. There's one on our office site I'd get a discount for, and as it's only three minutes walk away from home it seems ideal. One of the things that has discouraged me though is exactly what you're describing – ending up a redfaced, panting wreck of a man lying in a pool of sweat in the corner as impeccably toned model-types effortlessly exercise around me.

Luckily I'm in reasonably good shape weight wise, I've just got a nightmare image of waking up on my 30th birthday having doubled my body-weight overnight...

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sweaty Betty
    On Kensington Church Street, go past it often (not in, you understand) :D

Work up to it slowly, pace yourself...

Here's the look you want to go for. :D :eek:

[​IMG]

10. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah this place is offering something like 4 hours of free personal training when you sign up... i would definitely need something like that as I honestly haven't got a clue and the very idea of going to the gym gives me the heebiejeebies!

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've been to the gym before. In college, I took aerobics classes, went on 100 mile bike rides (um, obviously, that part wasn't in the gym... they aren't that big, even in the States), lifted weights, etc. I used to love going to the gym.

Of course, now, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going unless I was invisible, as I weigh a substantial amount more than I did then (many years ago)... and a lot less of the weight is muscle now.

But... the thing is, if I did go, I'd probably take a class because, as much as it would suck the first few weeks, I'd think it would be very motivational, and I'd probably work a lot harder at getting into shape than I would if I were just going by myself to the gym proper; I'd also be more likely not to blow off a class than a self-designated "time to go to the gym."

So, for me, I think a class is the way to go if you want to actually get into shape, but I think the key is to find a class which is challenging but not too challenging. It's OK if all the people in it are in better shape than you are. It's not OK if all the people in it are in much better shape than you are.

Hopefully, if the class isn't "right" for you, they'll allow you to switch.

And, BTW, I think it is terrible that e has apparently been commenting that you need to work out. I don't think it's right, nor do I agree with you forcing him to remove his KK tars. ;)

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

oi oi oi oi oi :eek: :eek: :eek: NOTHING to do with me! [​IMG]

13. iGav macrumors G3

Mr ed speaks the truth, although I will add, is that the advantages of doing the machines is that you can then select an even more unfit target than yourself and use the machine next to them and peddle faster, row further, lift more than they can!!!! it's a REALLY great way of boosting your self confidence!!! :p :p :p

Where as being the most unfit, in a room of people with a Gym Nazi will just draw unwanted attention to yourself when he's standing in front of you, screaming at the top of his lungs

YOU'RE A DISGRACE PRIVATE dietcokevanilla NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 20!!!!!! :p :p :p

14. iGary Guest

iGary

No one cares.

Everyone is there to live healthier, better lives.

It really pulled me out of a funk as an ex-6-marathon-a-year runner taht was benched with a back injury. Excercising again has done wonders for my mental health, and it forces me to adhere to a schedule in the morning, which is good for a woork at home person.

15. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

awww thanks... but i'm ****ting bricks!!

NOT A CHANCE!!!

Ahh yes in fact i even went to TWO branches... that's the one I went to first (HSK's my local shopping mecca) and then up to the Chepstow Road one.

Eeeeeeeewwwwww that picture!!! :eek:

Hahahah actually, he's too kind and has made no such comments!! Nor have I forced him to remove his KK tars :p

OK that's it I'm NOT going tonight :eek:

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hahahaha, spot on :D *feels all big and strong* :p

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Clearly, then, your abs are in great shape.

18. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

hahahahaha, brilliant :D

I almost just spat tea all over my iMac when I read that!

19. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ok I work out everyday just about. I do go to the gym sometimes, but I prefer to run on my treadmill at home, workout dvds or go biking or swimming. If you are nervous about starting full force at the gym, my suggestion would be to buy some workout DVDs to do at home to get in shape.....my favorite instructor is Karen Voight so check out www.karenvoight.com I own all of her workouts and they REALLY DO WORK!!! Also check out www.ginmiller.com ...she was the creator of step in the 80's and she has some great new dvds over the last two years!! :)

I think its great that you are trying to get in shape....you will see after some time it becomes addicting. I might miss one day a week, but thats about it!

20. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Do you need much 'space' to do these workouts? Let's just say I live in a TINY flat and don't have very much clear space at all. Also I don't think my downstairs neighbour would be too pleased about me jumping around... then again he is a total git so perhaps i *should* give this a go. Muahahahaha [​IMG]

Yeah some people have suggested trying the Davina Power of 3 video, seems to be fairly popular in the UK. I just don't think i would motivate myself to do it. Now that i've announced i'm going to a pump class tonight i am FORCING myself to actually go...

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's the problem, and that's why if you're really serious about doing something, you have to have to go somewhere to do it.

IT WILL BE FINE! Fill your boots! ;) :D

22. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

You need a little space, but not that much. The ones you need the most room for are the step workouts. And some of the DVDs are yoga and stretching so no jumping around! I know what you mean, I have had the same problem with neighbors over the years but no one has ever complained even when I thought I was being too loud! :)

If you are just starting and need motivation I would suggest Karen Voight's
    Sleek / Slim Physique For The Week DVD--it has a different 30 minute workout for everyday of the week and its not too much jumping---more low impact aerobics/free weights/yoga!!

The other workout which is the one that introduced me to Karen and the whole working out at hom routine is the Your Personal Best when she was trying to help Elle MacPherson lose 20 pounds. It is really one of my fav workouts still to this day but it is only available in VHS. You can read about it here as well http://www.karenvoight.com/store/video.asp?sku=YPB

23. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I wish there was an awesome gym where I live....I would love to get back into taking classes from TALENTED advanced instructors. The town I am in just does not have advanced instructors though. It sucks because it would be very motivating to me to attend a hard class with awesome up-to-date music!! I miss that!! :)

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think when joining a gym as a beginner classes and/or personal trainers are a must! So many people use machines improperly, which could damage the machine but more importantly can cause injury to the person.

That being said... I joined a gym once... went twice. The first time to sign up and a year and a half later, to cancel. :eek: The 'beautiful' people intimidated me. I swear... every time I went there were hordes of beautiful women, each in their own gossip ring of course. And each gaggle of them talking about the other ring:

'Oh my gosh, did you see what she is wearing?'
    'By the free weights?' *chortle*
    'That's nothing compared to belly flab woman's outfit last week!'
    'Oh, I missed that, what was she wearing?'

:( But then again, there's a lot of disgustingly rich, married, bored, and gorgeous trophy wives in my area. :eek:

25. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

OK thanks! I'll give the gym a go tonight... if I REALLY hate it then I'll look into getting one of these videos.

Elle MacPherson weighs more than 20 pounds? :confused: :D