My mighty mouse experience

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrStrangelove, May 2, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Up until last week I had only good, if not great, things to say about the mighty mouse.

I read some negative reviews here and there (especially here on this site) but simply couldn't relate.

Then last week seemingly out of the blue my scroll wheel felt like there was a "roughness" (like sand was in it) when scrolling and eventually (within a day) stopped scrolling down altogether.

I happened to have a second mighty mouse (it was used for about a month or so) and I popped it on. Today it's starting to behave just like hte other one.

So I guess these things suck. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement mouse that supports the "side buttons" or whatever you call them? I love the "squeeze" feature that shows all my windows.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

You just have to unstick the balls. Get a damp cloth, and roll the ball around on it (press down firmly). This should get it unstuck.

3. Queso macrumors G4

My scroll ball finally packed up over the weekend. I'm going to take the mouse back to Apple as soon as I get a chance, but I think I'm going to get an Intellimouse anyway.

Nice idea, 2-D scroll wheel, but I don't think they have it right just yet. Shame.

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm waiting for a bluetooth Mighty Mouse. I really hope it happens. And hopefully they're upgrade a few things about it too. I'd actually be cool with the bluetooth, single-button mouse they have now, but with a scroll ball and "squeeze buttons," as you call them.

Daniel.

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I wish I had a good sexual inuendo for that. Somebody help.

Daniel.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple couldnt build a decent Mouse if Jobs life was on the line and so another not so mighty mouse thread. Why does Apple stumble & trip on mice? They just cant seem to get it right..............ever.

7. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I'm going to try this-- thanks.

8. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

More importantly-- what non-apple products (mouses and keyboards) are folks using with their Macs that they feel are superior?

The choices seem to be limitless. I'm looking for a solid review on widely chosen products. Anyone?

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I had a Mighty Mouse and am now using a Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000. It's dirt cheap, and I like it a lot more than the MM. Feels a lot nicer in my hand, and has forward and back buttons as well as the notched scroll wheel which I prefer to a smooth one. If price is no problem, I'd say look around still, but if you want something really affordable that's still quite nice quality, I'd go with the laser mouse.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Microsoft doesnt do much right but its Mice seem to be pretty darn good. I have a 2yr old intellimouse and never had any issues. Perhaps Apple should get Microstink to build a mouse for them.

11. Annon macrumors member

I've still got one of the old Intellimouse Explorer 3.0's, and have been using it for about 5 years now. It's the best mouse I've ever owned.

I tried the mighty mouse, but it's just too uncomfortable, and the scroll ball isn't as comfortable as the wheel.

12. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

Putting a non-user serviceable scroll-ball on the mouse was crazy. It was nice while it lasted, and a good idea in theory, but highly impractical when it comes to anything but a sterile environment. Within two months, all the cleaning tricks had stopped making any difference.

While I concur with MS making excellent mice, I went for a Razer Pro mouse as a replacement and while a little different to start with and with a few driver issues early on, is something I would never now ditch. Best mouse out there.

13. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

hehehehe.

14. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Coming this June. A Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse set designed specifically for the Macintosh. Priced at around 100 bucks. Oh, and its wireless. I'm excited!

Saw this on Apple Insider a few months ago...January...maybe...

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool this sounds like a good thing, its kind of sorry that in this day and age you have a mouse that allways needs cleaning. Didnt we go through that with the hockey puck mouse they made years and years ago. If i cleaned that thing once i did a hundred times.:(