My Mighty Mouse gave up - again.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OCOTILLO, Oct 30, 2006.

1. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

The scroll wheel on my Mighty Mouse ( a replacement) gave up again. I did all the recommended "fixes" with no positive result. So, I am reduced to using my cheap $15 Microsoft mouse for the present.

I can not believe that I am the only one that has problems with the scroll wheel on the Mighty Mouse. If I am not, why can't Apple fix this? When it works I think it is the best, I like it, but I don't know if I want to waste my time going to the Apple store to get another replacement.

What do you think>

2. techster85 macrumors regular

You're not the only person that has that problem. Take heart, we've all had our might mice fail at some point. I agree, it seems a little strange to charge 50 bucks for something with a life of 5 months. I would say, find a comfortable alternative that is about the same price as the mighty mouse, and it will last you for a lot longer.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you mean the scroll ball has stopped working clean any grease off the ball. Then clean your hands and make sure they are dry before you use the mouse again. The reason why the scroll ball stops scrolling is down to grease reducing friction on the moving parts inside.

Its a form over function concept problem. I think the way around it would be to make the ball like a golf ball. i.e. with dimples but then it just wouldnt look as good. Function over form is bad, even if it functions. :D

4. Queso macrumors G4

I missed this one. Unplug the mouse, then roll the scroll ball around using unwaxed paper between it and your fingertip. Toilet paper or kitchen roll is perfect for the job. Do it in all directions for about three or four minutes in total. You'll see the grease coming off the ball and "blobbing" around the ball opening. Wipe it away with the paper and continue until the ball has a rough feel to it.

Do it two or three times on the first go, then whenever you feel the scroll wheel begin to stick, do it once more.

5. hotboiled macrumors member

same here

used alcohol and kitchen roll

problem fixed

6. Sobering macrumors regular

The Mighty Mouse is VERY bipolar. I've had mine for awhile now with NO problems whatsoever and I am never going to switch to any other mouse, I absolutley love it! But, on the other end some people hate it cause they don't work after the first day. Maybe I am lucky.