my mighty mouse is dying.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yaja123, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Yaja123 macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2005
    it doesnt scroll up anymore... or only very ocassionally. i tried all the usual manipulation to get it going again but it doesnt work.

i phoned apple and they are sending me a new one :)

but i suspect this will happen again and again because of the scroll mechanism itself.

Anyone else?
  2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
  3. Yaja123 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2005
    got my new mouse today.... mmmmmmm lovely smooth working scroll ball...

the old one feels so rough by comparision.

fingers crossed this one last longer than 3 months of normal usuage
  4. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    Check my sig.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Well, my Mighty Mouse appears to have died on me too. It works fine except for the side buttons, which are entirely non functional now. They sometimes don't work at all, other times they're so very sensitive that they trigger over and over even when I'm not touching the mouse. I've disabled them in the system preferences pane, but they still click when you do that, so I can tell they're messed up. Guess I'll call Apple...
  6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    This isn't the first time I've heard this complaint with regards to the Might Mouse. I think I'll be staying away from it for now, as there seems to be some QC issues that pPple needs to sort out, whether they be minor or not.

Good luck with your replacement, I hope it lasts longer for you!
  7. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2005
    For the record, there is at least one MM out there (mine) that has not had any issues whatsoever and has a very satisfied owner. :)

I've heard from others that if you tap down on the wheel/ball thingy quickly and rather forcefully, scroll issues can be fixed. Not sure why but I've heard this works, so give it a try if you'd like. Good luck to everyone with MM troubles.
  8. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    i've already given up on the mighty mouse. quite frankly, the mouse is complete crap, and it's probably the only apple product that i can seriously give a two-thumbs-down to.
  9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Amusingly, my only experience with the MM was in an Apple Store, where the display model's trackball was broken :D

Apple needs to bring back the quality of it's hardware, it's starting to go downhill.
  10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Yes, I suppose one could make an argument for this and the whole "iPod nano scratch" cases. That being said, just think about the millions of Macs out there though that haven't had one issue, and run essentially perfect. There are so many old Macs out there that are running just as good as they day they were bought, and I have a feeling the G5 iMacs of today and the like will be the same. But yes, QC is always an important issue, one Apple must not lose sight of.
  11. Hyernel macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    My Mighty Mouse seems fine

It came with the new duel core 2.3 G5. Kinda surprised it did.

I've disabled the side buttons (CP) and my only worry is that if I don't keep my finger clean, that little ball might get gummed up after awhile. I can still remember having to clean the old-style mouse balls.

Left and right mouse buttons work as they should with Lightwave, which is the only app I use that really requires 2.

The little scroll ball is like a party on my fingertip and everybody is invited!
  12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    I got a MM with my iMac G5 replacement, and I was really planning on staying away from the MM because I tried one out at the Apple Store when they came out. I liked it at the time, except for the side buttons. With the design of the top button, it is almost impossible for me to try and click the side buttons without clicking the main button as well, so this was very frsutrating for me. But, having the MM, I have just decided to give it a try and never use the side buttons...they are oddly placed and don't seem very useful. I mean, how many ways do we really need to access expose or dashboard?
  13. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My Mighty Mouse is in good shape, but I really don't use it a lot. This iBook is my first apple, and I have gotten VERY used to the two-finger scrolling. I was nervous when I saw that the keyboard didn't have the pageup/pagedown buttons in the pc position, not to mention requiring two keys to do it, but I must admit I am in love with this trackpad. I was always very pro-eraser head and anti-trackpad on my dell, but now I find myself trying to two-finger scroll, hehe. Mighty Mouse is still cool though. :) Definitely no complaints about the cord length either, which is rare, because I think for laptops and the iMac the length is perfect, not long and getting in the way.
  14. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I already had to send my MM in for repair because of a gunked up scroll ball. It was only dirty, but Apple replaced it without issue. 1 month later, same thing happened to the new one! So this time I just pressed the ball in and sprayed in some compressed air. Worked like a charm. I wish there was a way to take the MM apart so that it could be cleaned. Bad design, IMHO.
  15. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Thats funny, because I just bought a Mighty Mouse yesterday to compliment my new iBook (I switched with this), and I keep going back to the trackpad!
  16. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    The trackpads on the new iBooks are awesome, i couldnt live without the two finger scroll, it makes things easier than a real mouse,

17. narco macrumors 65816

Dec 9, 2003
    I started a thread about this as well. I am on my 3rd MM, which JUST went out. The scroll wheel is always the culprit. I REALLY love the MM, I just wish it'd WORK.

I am going to buy the Kensington and I'll be done. Apple really dropped the ball on this one.

18. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    My MM has the scroll up issue at random from time to time, but I can fix it by messing with it, and it's few and far between that it does screw up. I love it other than this small hiccup, and other than that problem, the mouse has functioned beautifully. Its optical sensor and tracking are amazing. Those of you that don't own them who are calling them 'complete crap' are way overexaggerating, and honestly need to give it a better shot before you say something like that. Of course it has a few issues. It's Apple's Rev. A first attempt at making a kind of mouse they have scorned publicly for their entire existence. The only thing they had to worry about before was the optical sensor, which is STILL as good as it ever was. If you don't want your scroll ball to get dirty, don't use your mouse when your hand is dirty.
  19. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Today the side buttons seem to be back to normal. I didn't do anything to fix it, it just sort of fixed itself. Anyway, if it acts up again, I'll call Apple. Other than the apparent QC problems, I really love my Mighty Mouse. I also have a MS Intellimouse Explorer (on my PM G5), and while the MS mouse is really nice, I think I like the MM better.
  20. phonic pol macrumors regular

Feb 16, 2004
    me too!

Mine is on the way out too! I thought it would be a problem when I first saw the mighty mouse but figured apple must have worked it out! Obviously not...
  21. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    Mine is doing alright, actually, the side buttons are more sensitive now (which is good). The scroll died one day, but it's doing fine right now. I think dirt can screw the scroll easier than in other mouses.

I'm very happy with the mouse, it looks very Apple-like, but it isn't very ergonomic IMO, you can't really rest your hand easily.
  22. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

Apr 12, 2005
    I've experienced the same issue with the MM. Once it would not scroll down, the other couple times, it would not scroll up. After some "persuasion" it works again. It really should not have to be this way. I swab/clean it with a slightly damp cloth to keep it happy. I've always been in the habit have having squeaky clean hands when working at my desk/computer so Im pretty sure it is not anything Im doing that causes it to "stick". I wish I could say it just works, but must admit this is an annoying defect.

On a positive note, scrolling in Maya with the MM is WONDERFUL. I've used other scrolling devices before and they all tend to make larger(than desired) jumps. Scrolling with the MM is a lot smoother, and I can zoom into detailed areas nicely with it.
  23. zathras macrumors member

Nov 6, 2005
    North AL
    I returned my Mighty Mouse for the scroll problem after about 4 days. It felt like something was gumming up the mechanism and only would work sporadically.

I now have a Logitech Mediaplay mouse (using USB Overdrive) and I think it is my favorite mouse ever.
  24. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow, I'm really glad that I didn't drop the money for one of these when I was at the apple store a month ago.
  25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Sounds like it will be best to wait for the next edition of the Mighty Mouse - we may see the BT version at MWSF, so perhaps that would be a good time to consider purchasing one.