my mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xagoldsteinx, Mar 17, 2006.

1. xagoldsteinx macrumors member

for some reason my mighty mouse does not want to scroll down. only up, left, and right. what is wrong? :( help is GREATLY appreciated.
    :confused:

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

You could either turn it upside down and scroll hard, clean with alcohol or blow some compressed air through it (do a search - there are plenty of threads on MR about it).

Or you could try iGary's approach...

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's got gunk on the sensor. Take it back, get a new one. I'm on my second new one (third in total), I don't mind taking them back and getting new ones so long as they keep doing it for free (I guess till the warranty is up) if it's costing them money for all these returns - which it must be, I'm not the only one - then perhaps it will force Apple to come up with a new design. One that's a little more forgiving in humid climates where the ball seems to gunk up in a few moments.

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

This is a servere problem to many MM users, I hope apple will solve the problem for the BT Mighty Mouse.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would recommend this approach. It will not solve your problem...but it should provide you with some entertainment. ;) :)

6. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i had this problem too, i just took the mouse apart and cleaned it

scrolls like brand new :D

i used this as a guide but didn't exactly do it the way they did:
    http://shirster.multiply.com/journal/item/194

i ended up breaking off the bottom gray thing but it isn't really needed anyway except to hold the wire in place

7. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

This is one of my only complaints about the mm Besides that I think its a very nice piece of hardware.

I guess I tend to be a bit lazy (and the nearest Apple Store is in Indianapolis, which is like an hour and a half away) and I've just gotten used to cleaning it.

When it sticks just flip it over in your hand and scroll quickly and forcefully. I do that for a few seconds maybe once a week or two and mine works fine.

8. geeyesgee macrumors member

Hey thanks for that advice. I have the same problem and this solution works well.

I wonder why the problem is on scrolling down mostly :confused:

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

What bluetooth mighty mouse?

For a mouse that powerful, you're going to need some serious batteries, and a lot of them.

10. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I'd guess that it's because scrolling down is the most common action with the scroll ball. If you're looking at a website, then you would tend to scroll to the bottom of the page, then either hit 'back' or use a link or whatever. For me at least, the other directions are used nowhere near as much.

I don't know how the mouse works internally and detects the direction of scrolling, but it seems possible that this would contribute.