My Mini is going senile ????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I don't know what's wrong with this thing. It's about 1 year old, and in the last couple of weeks it's just starting acting really flaky....

1. My browsers (both Safari and Shiira) get hung on certain Web sites, especially Yahoo! News. That may be an unrelated issue. But occasionally I'll click on a bookmark and instead of opening that site, it takes me back to the PREVIOUS site I was on. Then I click it again and I go where I'm supposed to...

2. Sometimes when I wake my computer up after it's been asleep, the desktop wallpaper I had selected has now been REPLACED by whatever wallpaper I had selected previously. (WTF???)

3. Everything just seems to be slowing down. Word is positively arthritic. But almost everything seems to have a strange lag in response time.

I do have crappy 256 RAM in it, but these problems are just starting to happen after a year of acceptable performance so it can't be that. I have still have about 60% of my drive space too. So, is my hard drive preparing to die or something?

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

I'd run xbench to give us an idea; before and after you use disk util and repair permissions. If it's bad enough; it's probably time for a reinstall.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about upgrading to Tiger anyway. Can I assume that, if my Panther has gotten corrupted, I'll need to do a clean install of Tiger instead of an Archive and Install?

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

No; that isn't necessary. If there's something wrong with the system an archive and install will work; also; see if these bugs happen in a separate account.