My mom got this funny email about a virus...haha

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by NusuniAdmin, Aug 18, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

This is a FUNNY FUNNY messege she got. It claims to be from an IBM represenative and it tells you to never open a messege with a subject of "It takes guts to say jesus". Heres a quote:

funny funny fake email rumors haha. If you search for this on google you get all sorts of forums about it, some from 2003. This is comical.....i almost fell off my chair hahahahahaha.

2. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

What kills me is that people will forward this message around. All it does is give spammers valid email addresses to send to. Somehow, the spammers code the email to report back email addresses the email has been sent to. Wish I knew more about it so I could block similar code...

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The problem is when people forward it to 50 people at once, and put all the address in the To or CC fields, instead of the BCC field. Each of those people send to another 50 people and BAM! 2500 addresses for the spammers to use.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sounds fantastic!! But sadly, that is not true.

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Sadly, it is true. I didn't think so either. But back in '97, my sister forwarded me this email, and we got to replying back and forth on this particular message. She had mentioned she heard people could obtain your email address from this, and I disagreed thinking it wasn't possible. Lo and behold, someone out of the blue responds to both of us with all of our replies stating he'd been watching all along.

Could be just an HTML thing. By converting everything to text that could be avoided, but I'm not so sure...

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seriously, it is not true.

In order for an email to do this, it would have to carry an executable application/script. It would have to parse out the fields and extract email addresses. Then it would have to somehow send that information back to the originator undetected. In order for all this to happen, the user would have to actually run the script, or use some piece of junk like Outlook, that runs any attached executables for you, which is why so many PCs get infected with email borne viruses.

Emails cannot change on their own while being transfered from one user to another. This is simply not possible with text or HTML emails. The only way it MAYBE could happen is with an attached executable, which again must be run in order to work. But it cannot change an existing email in your inbox.

Using HTML graphics in emails can tell a spammer what IP you loaded them from, and possibly what email address he was using to spam to. If the email was properly crafted by the spammer to include some sort of identifying information in the given links, they could be told which addresses were legit by the people following the links or loading the graphics. But this is present in the email when it gets sent.

For example, this link from a real spam I got:

Quite unusual looking, right? I suspect that it is used as a unique identifier to the spammer, if I were to follow that link, they would have confirmation that yellow@foo.whatever is a valid address to spam to.

8. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Do any of you remember a while back about some AOL employee getting fired for spamming people (or somtin like that)?

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

He was arrested because he stole some of the client files before he was fired and sold them to an internet gambling business, which assuredly uses spamming techniques.

From SANS News Bites Vol. 6 Num. 26

10. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

ok thnx