My Mom just got engaged

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blueflame, Jul 25, 2006.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

so, my mom just got engaged last night, its a weird felling, becusae she is my mother and not with my father, its been a real long time, but im happy for her i guess. the wedding is going to be held in italy. i really am shocked, anyway, i just needed to exbound
    andreas

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

did she like get engaged out of nowhere? i'd assume she had a bf first... why so shocked?

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Congrats... do you get on with your prospective step-father?

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

:D I read "do you get it on with your prospective step-father?" Did you mean get along?

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not meaning to hijack, but I'll do you one better. My grandmother passed away last month, and the fact that I was the only one there wearing a black suit was not the most suprising thing. My parents have been divorced ever since I can remember (I'm 30), and my father is on wife #3. He's 53, she's 38, her youngest child is 12, and they decided to inform me (at the funeral, mind) that they're trying to breed.

Here's hoping your blended family will turn out better than mine.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Whaddaya know, my dad just got engaged! It's no problem for me though really as my both my parents are in their 60's. You see, I'm the youngest out of 5 kids and they got married in their early 20's and have been divorced for around 15 years. Because of that, and the fact that I am on good terms with both of them [although I lived with my mom] I'm just happy that he's happy. The only person that is sort of irked about this is my mother, but that's understandable. The lady he's going to marry is cool and is herself a grandmother, but it's not like I'm going to spend time with her kids [who are in their 30's] or cozy up to her family. It's his life, and she's not a bitch.

So if everythings copacetic, and the guy she's marying isn't an *******, just be happy that she's happy. That's all anyone wants. It's not like you'll have to call him dad or anything, but just make that extra effort to be as open as you can about the whole experience.

It might be extra weird if you live with her and he's going to move in, that's understandable; and personally I would be kind of creeped out about it.

Either way try to understand and try to let her know how you feel.

My grandpa was cheating on my grandma for who knows how long during his marraige, but it was so bad and he hung out with her more than he did his wife that people actually thought his girlfriend was his wife. Also, and I kid you not as my family just discovered this a couple months ago [including his son, my father] that a couple years after his wifes death he married his girlfriend and has been married for NINE YEARS and absolutely no one knew anything about it. He didn't tell a soul. On top of that, she is in her 50's while my grandpa is in his 80's.

Go gramps!

7. mannix87 macrumors 6502

wouldn't know how to react either. don't know if my dad would do such a thing now that my mother passed away recently. :confused:

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    My dad got remarried about a year ago. When I found out I said it was about time because I could tell by seeing the two of them together.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hopefully this is good news for you. You don't mention if you're still living with your mom, and therefore soon to be with the new step-father, so I'm not sure how much impact this has on your life.

If you're out of the house, the most important things are that she's happy and that they're good together.

If you're still there, then the most important thing is that he's a good person and that you two can at least get along fairly well.

In any case, good luck to you and your family with the change. I'm sure it's a little weird right now, but that will pass.