My mom just switched!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by biozombie, Aug 9, 2005.

1. biozombie macrumors newbie

After recently becoming a switcher and lifer myself, My mom's Dell PC from 1998 has finally died.

After telling explaining her new options with Apple. She's chosen the base model iMac. She can finally branch out and do the things she wants to do on a computer without having to worry.

No more removing spyware from a 7 year old PC running Win98.

Thank heavens she's switched. On second thought, thank heavens I switched when I did as well.

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's awesome. It's nice to know there will be no more spyware headaches.
    I just got my mom to switch too, but I had to go and buy her a Mac myself to get her to do it! She's anything but a power user, so I got her a used Pismo powerbook and she loves it. Anything's better than her old e-Machines!

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its great to switch parent's i swithced my das to an iBook about 6 months ago and he loves it....

Shadow

4. Gwendolyn macrumors member

My mom's thinking about it, too... my parents depend on us for tech support, and it's becoming more difficult to help them considering that (1) the last version of Windows we used was Windows 2000, while they use XP, and (2) we've switched to the Mac, so we won't be getting any newer versions of Windows. It's gotten to the point where if they ask for help with something, we can't see the same thing they're looking at to help them. Maybe when she comes out to visit this fall, I should encourage her to use my PB and see how she likes it, especially since she's considering the 12" model. When she's closer to making the purchase, I figure I'll have a talk with her about what she wants her computer to do, so that we can see if the switch will be good for her, but my intuition is that it will be exactly what she wants. She values "ease of use", which OS X has in spades, and the portability, the lack of virus/spyware and the inclusion of the iPhoto software will be good for her, too.

Congratulations on helping your mom to switch--I hope she likes her new Mac as much as you obviously like yours!

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I convinced my parents to switch as well - last year (2004), they were running a Windows computer w/Windows 98!
    I finally convinced them to go with the 14" iBook & set them up with wireless broadband service in the house.
    They couldn't be happier! My mom now wonders how she did without a laptop computer for so long.
    I'm constantly amazed at how proficient they've suddenly become in web-browsing.
    Takes a while to get used to the their "Guess what I saw on the internet today..." stories.
    Certainly a welcome change from the "How do you make this work..." experience with Windows!

6. biozombie thread starter macrumors newbie

She's the second person I've switched. She wants to do more with digital photography. I'm giving her my Sony camera as I am upgrading. Her savings on buying film and developing will help her. She loves taking pictures and gets so frustrated when family members send over hi-res versions instead of scaled versions. So that's where I always come in. I had a pretty nice Dell and bought a Mac mini to run both platforms. I ended up propping my feet up on my Dell and using the Mac mini all the time. So I sold my Dell system and bought a 20" ACD.

It's better for our parents, who want digital photos, email and the web. It's simple, intergrated and solid. I don't even know why I spent so many years on a PC.

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

8. Tahko macrumors regular

Beware, my mutter is coming right behind yours! She said "oh that is so silent and fine, I want one of those too" after using her bank service on this one with "private browsing" turned on and seeing that it indeed showed nothing on history. :D