Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbryan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
My 30GB Classic only outputs stereo about 10% of the time.

If I press down hard on my headphone plug, I get stereo.

Is there either a way to switch my iPod or library to mono without reimporting?

Or fix the iPod without sending it away?

Also, why won't my Podcast Playlists sync in iTunes 9 with my iPod classic?

The podcasts are there... just not in a playlist.

I'd like to avoid buying a replacement Nano if I can.

The battery is acceptable, it's just that darn mono playback that ruins my songs.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I'm sorry to say, but the mono sound is most probably because of a faulty headphone jack on the iPod. It could also be your headphone's wiring that isn't making a proper connection anymore, so try with different headphones/speakers first. Basically, it would need fixing, you could maybe find a local repair shop that might do it, but it would take a while and cost some. Depending on whether you like the new nano's features enough, it might be better to cut your losses and buy new.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
This is a pretty common problem with the video after a few years. It's the headphone jack that's gone, but you can get replacement parts on ebay for about £5. The hold switch and the headphone jack are one part so you'll have to replace them both but take a tip and make sure you buy the hold switch with button attached (by which I mean the button that you see from the outside of the case). It goes from quite a simple job to a fiddly hell if you buy it without the button attached.

I've fixed this on a couple of iPods, it's a pretty easy and cheap repair. Much cheaper than buying a new iPod. There's a fair few videos online telling you how to do it aswell, you should be able to do it yourself.

Incidentally one of the problems that can cause this is keeping your headphones plugged in then wrapping them round your iPod when you're not using it, it can put a strain on the jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.