My movie is online!

Discussion in 'Community' started by codycartoon, May 1, 2003.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2002
    My Movie is now available online for all you guys to watch...its a 1 minute black and white flick where i go through the dramatic process of making popcorn...its more of a practice in cinematography...please tell me what you think!

...and for all those filmmakers...i shot this on a cannon zr-20 edited it with a powermac g4 867MHz running FCP3

please tell me what you think!
  2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I don't know about y'all but it made me really hungry. :p
  3. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2002
    Washington DC USA
    Nice movie :)

I think I should show this to my sister, last time she made popcorn she almost burned down the hotel we were staying at.
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
  5. codycartoon thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2002
    there's sound...

thanks for the replies...:)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Thank you Cody for making my mouth water now it's time for lunch!:) Wow not much of any kernals left! The sound was great!
  7. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    dude...if this is suppossed to be a cinematography practice, and you want us to see how it looks you cant have it that compressed. I have no idea what the lighting looks like, no idea if it's in focus, and I have to guess what stuff is gotta have a better rez version...

on another note, why aren't there any wide, or for that matter medium shots. There is no idea of the space where this takes place, no real setup, and no sense of what is happening or why.

I only know what was going to happen because you said it here....if you hadn't I don't know if I would have understood what was going on.

You gotta have a story or at least a setup and a climax, you need to estabalish the space...and I know this was a cinematography exercise...but you need to read up on editing. You got some nasty jump cuts, some cuts that are too short, some that aren't needed.

Also, from what I can tell with it all pixelated, look into shot composition....the rule of thirds is your friend.

*Note* this is not meant to discourage you, be condescending, or mean in anyway. You asked for a crit and I want to give you my honest opinion in the hops that you can learn from it and grow as an artist.

I hope you take well to constructive critisim, as I dont know you/your background.

I also don't know if you're serious about filmmaking as a living, or just for fun. Or anythign like that. You might want to check out the book : Producing and directing he Short Film and Video by Rea/Irving.

Hope this was educational...and sorry if any of what I said may sound isnt meant to.

Good luck
  8. crookedcharlie macrumors member

Apr 22, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    The cruching sounds were pretty cool. I agree that a higher res version would be nice. When your hand keesp reaching in on the pile of corn, it gets all weird on my screen. Other than that, it was fun.