My Music Video is Online!

Discussion in 'Community' started by codycartoon, Mar 30, 2005.

1. codycartoon macrumors regular

Hello Everyone,

I just completed my newest music video "Who Could Win a Rabbit" using music from The Animal Collective (if anyone knows them). I would really love some comments and criticisms. This has a good chance of going on my reel for NYU. I will be applying to Tisch School of the Arts next year (undergraduate) and probably some other universities with film programs.

I shot this on a panasonic DVX 100a and edited on a quicksilver G4 867 with 256 mb ram(Ram=Myth).

I would love to hear your thoughts!

http://codyb.com/rabbit.htm

thanks!

-cody

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hey.
    It seems like a mix of Kings of Convenience and The Beastie Boys.
    I love it.

Good luck getting into film school.
    I'm the same... but nothing to show for it.

Thanks.

irmongoose

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Nice work. Where abouts in Denver are you? I'm down in Castle Rock. Nice snow storm we got last night, huh?

I went to an early screening of Sin City last night at Park Meadows (it friggin rocks!) and the drive home that normaly takes 15-20 minutes took me an hour! Cars all over the place. They even closed a stretch of road I need to take to get home. But anywho...

Are you thinking of pursueing a film career, or is this mainly a hobby or what? The reason I ask is that I am shooting for a film career myself, although film school is out of the question (31 years old, wife, two kids, mortgage, real job, etc.). I have done a few corporate training videos and commercials but that isnt what I really want to do (the money is nice, though). I need to tell stories. Thats where my passion is.

I'm shooting an original short story in May (my first ever totally original story with real actors and everything). All the locations will probably be south of Denver. I'm planning on shooting for only two days, maybe three if necessary. If you'd like to check it out or possibly be involved some how email me. FYI, its all no budget/no pay, so...

Nice to meet a fellow Coloradoan.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

By the way, awesome site. It's got a real cool simple interface too it. Keep up the good work.

jon

5. The Past macrumors 6502

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it with us.

One word of caution. If you are going to send this out to schools or elsewhere as a part of your portfolio, make sure you say something about copyright, especially of the content that is not your own. For example, did you get a Creative Commons License for the audio (don't know if it covers this song)? I see several of these a week at work and when a showreel does not acknowledge source/license of creative content, it turns off quite a few of us.

Sorting this out shows that you are already on the way to getting your act right.

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Mostly agree about the copyright stuff, but I seriously doubt that a school is going to be real picky about the copyright issues. I wouldnt do too much beyond acknowledging the copyright owners. But actually going through the hoops to get the copyright is an unnecessary hastle. If you were to use this to actually sign on people for paying work, then thats a different issue.

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I thought you had some really good stuff in there. A couple of notes, being a video makers alike. A simple thing to do to make video look better is de-interlace it, and convert to 24p if you want to give it a film look. I liked the straight on frameing. To get a better looking jerky camera feel, try to keep the camera moving on only 2 axies and pivot the front instead of the back. On the spinning scene the SP could have been higher for clarity, or lower if you wanted more motion blur. The deep shots at the end were very nice, and they would have look even better if you decreased your field of depth.

I in no way mean you havn't done a great job, I can see you're good and I would love to see you further your skills!

8. Icespiker macrumors newbie

Nicely done

I'm currently making a video too and I know how hard it can be to get things right the first time. Considering what you have, I think you did an excellent job and your actors were great too. Cool to see another denver mac user as well :cool: .

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It's a good idea though, because you wouldn't want The Past catching up with you (pun) if/when your reel reaches someone for whom rights and clearances makes a difference. That person could also be a key factor in getting you work. A lot of the best jobs come through that sort of "you never know they were talking about you but they were" communication. I get phone calls based on my reputation and it's great, because I get some interesting projects without traditional advertising. So what I'm saying is what The Past said, that going through the trouble for rights and clearances shows the sort of polish and professionalism that can set you apart from others.

codycartoon, nice work! Hopefully there's more where that came from.

jimsnowden, how about this method: copy the video track and lay it on top of itself. Set the opacity of the top layer at 50%. Deinterlace the odd fields on the top track and even fields on the bottom track. I read about this deinterlacing method yesterday. Go to the bottom and read the August 4, 2001 Article Update. This method is nice because typically deinterlacing cuts your effective resolution and introduces jaggies.

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Never thought of that technique. Good idea though.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my point regarding copyright was that if he is trying to get into film school, its not that big a deal. No film school in the world is going to expect him to have copyright clearance for something like that. By the time he is out of school, I would hope something like this wouldnt have a place on his reel. There should be more and better things to show on a reel after film school. So this will probably never see the light of day as far as being on his professional reel.

I guess we're just looking at it differently.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I agree. This shouldn't go on his reel, and it's appropriate for a 12th grader applying to film school. Maybe he can send it to the band and get hired to direct their next video.

12. codycartoon thread starter macrumors regular

wow thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate them.

As far as the copyright goes I don't think it matters too much to NYU and other film programs but I would be very interested in getting it done so I can submit to some film festivals. What is a Creative Commons License? And I'm just curios Past but where do you work?

Thanks for the compliment on the site iJon it has gone through many revisions. Your site is pretty awesome as well. Your index is a lot like how mine used to be with the big abstract self portrait and links underneath it.

That's a great idea Rod Rod, I was thinking that as well and I am writing them a letter now. I'm going to NYC for 3 weeks this summer and maybe I can connect with them and shoot something (they are based in brooklyn)

But anyways thanks everyone! It would be wonderful to hear some more comments and criticisms.

-cody

13. codycartoon thread starter macrumors regular

*Update*

I sent the Animal Collective an email a few days ago with a link to the video. They sent one back saying they really liked it. I'm not sure if this means I get the rights to use the music but I suppose it can't hurt. I am going to email them back about possibly directing their next video.

*fingers crossed*

-cody

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Awesome. Good luck, and post your followup Animal Collective videos when you get a little free time from the rockstar lifestyle. :)