My Neighbor's House Burnt Down

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Guitarius, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

My sister come running into my room a few minutes ago yelling and screaming that the neighbor's house just burnt down. It amazes me that something like that can happen, and I didn't even know it. Everyone is standind around gawking at it.

It's pretty crazy, but I gotta admit. I don't really care. I've been instructed to stay up and "gaurd the house" But the **** am I going to do if something happens?

Why can't they ever wake up my brother to do this ****? This is retarted.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I hope you're being sarcastic. This reminds me of a great Oingo Boingo song.

3. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

It's not that I don't want to care, I just don't. I didn't know them, hell, I didn't even know their names. Yeah, it sucks that it happened, but it's a fire, what are you going to do?

My biggest thing is that my stepdad took off and told me to gaurd to the house? What the **** am I going to do? I think the police with guns standing around outside have a better chance gaurding anything. And if another fire starts, well, there's trucks for at least a mile, all the way up and down the street.

I just want to go back to bed.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I would guess you're there to call emergency if something happens. (A friend and I were once set to guard the area of a small recent forest/grass fire. After an hour or so, when nothing happen, we left. Two hours later it caught fire again and our parents had to arrange another fire fighting operation.)

5. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, just go back to bed. What the worst that could happen -- your house burns down too? No big deal. Your parents have insurance, right? Sleep is more important.

7. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

If it does, what am I gonna do about it?

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I dunno. Call 911? Or is that too much of a bother?

9. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

The firemen are right outside my door. I even talked to one of them for a bit.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

11. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I detect some sarcasm...Is it something I said?

Besides. I think I have to leave in a little while.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, your neighbors' house burnt down and we're supposed to have sympathy for you because you had to get up early?

It's fine for you not to care about your neighbors. Just don't expect much sympathy when something bad happens to you.

13. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I'm not asking you to have sympathy for me. Just saying I don't understand my stepfather's logic.

And as far as expecting sympathy from others...well...I dunno...Sympathy just kinda seems useless to me.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Reread Gekko513's post. That's what your stepfather is thinking about. A spark from your neighbor's house could have landed on your roof and then sat there smoldering for hours. If you catch it soon enough, then it's no problem, but if it goes ignored, you could lose your house too.

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

WOW

nice guy, aren't you? :rolleyes:

16. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Okay. I get that...but it happened a couple of hours ago, around 6 or so local time. By the time I went outside, they were about to start packing up. I would imagine that if something like that would have happened, it would have happened by now, or then.

17. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

No. Not really.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

that's a trerrible thing to admit to, in my opinion :(

i hope that your neighbors are ok and that the rest of your neighborhood shows some compassion and offers to help them through this...

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You don't get it. Your apathy is what people here don't like. That and your posting a thread about it. Apparently, you don't get enough attention at home.

20. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

It seems like everything I say lately, I put my foot in my mouth.

Look...I'm not as heartless as I seem. As if saying it really means anything.

And they'll be hardpressed to find compassion in this neighborhood. It seems like most people didn't like them. Just what it seems like to me from talking to a couple people this morning.

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Perfect opportunity to play 'The Roof is On Fire' by the Bloodhound Gang over a ghetto blaster. Insensitive... I guess so.

But I've been in a similar circumstance when a neighbor down the block committed suicide by leaving a propane tank open, filling the house with gas and then setting fire, blowing up the house. Ah, memories.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But you didn't know that until this morning after the fire.

Face it, you're heartless, and you started this thread for pretty much no reason other than to get attention.

It would be great if you came in here and told us that something terrible just happened, and I was here to tell you that I have no sympathy. After all, I can't do anything to help you anyway, and I don't know you.

23. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

No offense, but I'm happy your not my neighbor.

Who cares that you didn't know them. Wouldn't you want them to do the same for you if you had some type of accident/emergency.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm going to have to cosign with the rest of the posters. As for someone who had their house burn down earlier this year, I probably have a good understanding what your neighbors are going through. It was also my neighbors who gave us a sense of comfort as our house turned to black rubble on the ground. So do everyone a favor and go back to sleep, your benefiting no one.

jon

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

People, stop getting on his case. I can understand his attitude. He's right that there's nothing that he can personally do, except maybe travel back in time and stop the fire from burning down his neighbor's house.

If anything, Guitars' going through a phase in his life called melancholy. It's pretty eff'n normal. Cut him some slack.