My New 12inch Powerbook is a lemon!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ozlow, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ozlow macrumors member

Ordered a 12 inch powerbook from Macmall on the Sept. 16th.

Recieved it on Oct. 1st. Notice a group of two dead pixels. Brought it to the Apple Genus Bar on the 11th about the pixel problem.

Apple shipped it out on the 12th. Got it back on the 15th. The pixel problem wasn't fixed of course, but you can't blame me for trying.

Oct 22nd. Panic Kernal. Won't allow me to do anything. I bring it to the Genus Bar. I was told that the Logic Board is dead and that I would have to send it in again.

Seeing as though Apple won't give me a new one. Mac Mall won't give me a new one. I'm subjected to go to the MacStore.
    They seem willing to do a trade in for one of the new iBooks.

I'm not really sure what to do. I hate this Powerbook 12" and I'm getting a really bad vibe that this is just one of those machines that is going to give me headaches.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Thanks,

-oz

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry that you're having so much trouble. First off, I'd like to say that the "Genius Bar" is neither a bar, nor populated with Geniuses. I've managed to stump them every time I go in with relatively simple questions that I already know the answer to.

Soapboxbitch aside, what's your aversion to sending it in again to get the logic board replaced? Your machine is under warranty and you have AppleCare (you DID buy AppleCare didn't you? Tsk, tsk if you didn't!), so all the shipping and labor and parts are free. Sure it's inconvenient because you don't have your 12"pb, but wouldn't you rather have it then an old ibook?

Have you tried doing any troubleshooting to figure out if it is indeed the logic board or perhaps something else that's causing the panix?

3. Linkster82 macrumors member

My 12" doesn't have half the problems yours does, but the hinge on my screen is so tight it makes a creaking/cracking noise when I open it. Only slightly disconcerting. I'm sending it back to Apple to get that fixed.

As for AppleCare, screw that. Most problems occur with the first year, so forget the $349. That's just outrageous to pay anyway.

4. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Yeah the AppleCare is so expensive I'm not really thrilled about buying it either. On the other hand, if you decide you want it later, it *can* be purchased anytime within the first year after buying your machine, right?

I'm just thinking that if I have a repair or two within the first year, I might feel differently about the second two years. As for talking to Apple tech support people, no thanks :)

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It's a travesty that one should feel compelled to buy Applecare in case their machine is shipped with problems. There should be some kind of computer Lemon-Law. These tales of woe are happening too frequently around here. It would be one thing if people were spilling beer on the keyboard or running the whole thing over with a mulching mower, but Applecare as insurance against a bum machine being sent to you is BAD...

:mad:

6. ozlow thread starter macrumors member

At this point I would love to have my old iBook back...It never gave me problems.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

but you do get 3 months of phone support + 9 more months of hardware support, so it seems to me that if you get an outright "lemon" you should know it before your original coverage is up...

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I'd hope that within a certain time period, they'd just replace your machine versus trying to fix it for you. It seems that when a machine has a problem, it has more than one...

9. Mblazened macrumors regular

Anybody who is stupid enough to buy a laptop without applecare deserves whats coming to them. Enjoy your $1000+ repairs.

10. Mblazened macrumors regular

That isn't true. The older a machine is, the more likely something inside will fail.

Every day i get ibooks and powerbooks (within first 2 years of purchase) in here with dead backlights, logic boards, etc. These repairs are over $1000. Don't learn your lesson the hard way. Get applecare. And be careful with your computers.

-max

11. ozlow thread starter macrumors member

they give you 90 days phone support and 1 year repairs!!!

For the most part I only have my laptops or computers for a year. Why would I pay for something when I'll sell it after a year anyway. I should have coverage the first year...RIGHT?

This a a 23 day old machine. 5 of which were spent at Apple to tell me they wouldn't do anything for my pixel cluster.

I've only had about two weeks of use. They should just replace it, but they are being complete jerks. Infact the Manager of the U-Village store said she would take it back after I had the pixel problem (I would have to pay for a restock fee), but now that there's a kernal panic she won't. Don't you think a kernal panic would be worse than dead pixels?

-oz

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Re: My New 12inch Powerbook is a lemon!

Go to a local authorized Apple store, don't look for a chain mall store, look for an indepndently owned one. Tell them your problem and have them look at it, remember you have Applecare for 90 days so you can have the store send it in and replace the MLB. If its not working Apple should have the part replaced, indepdent stores will most likely be on your side.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You have to be very stern with apple on the phone. Dont take no for an answer. Also, ask to take to someone else and they will give you the manager or someone of higher authority. Remember they dont want replace your machine so they will do everything they can do not too. Applecare is so worth it! I learned the hard way. I had a dual USB iBook with soo many problems. Every time I sent it in a new problem occureed the next week. And of coure going by my luck my logic board died a week after warranty. So i get it fixed. Then harddrive crashes. When i finish replacing with new hardrive logic board dies again. and i said "its not worth one damn penny tp put in a new board so im gonna sell the parts" The main reason why i didnt buy applecare was because i didnt have the $$. So now look where i have ended up? no computer(im using my parents eMac)

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

AppleCare is a waste in my opinion

I don't have AppleCare. All of my past PCs have lasted (my first one is still working fine and that's about 8 years old). Ok, so laptops are more prone to disaster but why spend a third of the cost of a major repair just in case it goes wrong in years 2 or 3. Sod's law will say that if anything does go wrong it will be the moment AppleCare runs out.

Remember, you are far more likely to drop a machine or have it nicked, for which AppleCare does not cover you.

There are two many watchdog programs in the UK at the moment saying how extended warranties (a.k.a. AppleCare) are a complete waste of money but they have a good profit margin on them so the companies want you to have it.

I was of the opinion that Macs were built to a higher quality than cheap PCs so I expect my machine to last.

15. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i opted to not get applecare. I have everything backed up, and my major concern is me breaking the thing! ive dropped it more than once, so i just have insurance on it. applecare wont cover it if i knock it off a second floor ledge, or dump my drink on it. though my insurnace covers it for most damage. and even if whatever happens is wear and tear, a subsequent accident with my subway soda will just replace it all ;)

as for your computer, if it keeps having issues, you can call apple and ive seen them replace computers that have serveral issues soon out of the box.

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

That's an embarrassing testament to the quality of Apple's laptops...

17. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

$1000 really wow thats hard to believe. The laptop barely costs that lol. And if something breaks its in the first few months or after 3 years. So dont buy Applrcare unless your abusive to your laptop. Apples have problems but remmeber that they have the highest rated quallity and customer satisfaction. I think 20% of dells have problems out of the box and they are #2.

18. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

2 dead pixesl is not a reason to get your laptop replaced. the limit is i think 5, or 10 pixesl.

sorry for dead logic board though. i had that on my ibook, not on my pbook.

19. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

besides, ONE kernel panic is not the sign of dead logic board.

when i had dead logic board, i got FIFTY kernel panics a day on a slower machine, ibook. so on a faster omne you should get more panics too. but you are not out of warranty so no panic.

20. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

You get 1 year of free service and 90 days free telephone support with the PowerBook, AppleCare or not.

21. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

And I bet there was someone waiting to be seen who would've benefited from their help, but you were showing off and trying to impress them.

I bet they get people like you all the time, and I bet they don't use words as nice as 'loser' when you've left.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok, let me give you my opinions, i am just goint to comment on many of the things i have read without quoting people. first off, apple doesnt reaplace laptops, they clearly say this and you shouldnt be expecthing that. also, dont listen to this newbie guy saying you screwed yourself without applecare. applecare is insurance and is dependent on the person, personally i would never go without it, but it depends how much a dollar is worth to you. obviously if you are gonna sell this in a year applecare will be no value to you. next, most of the time geniuses at the bar do not know more than everyone else in the store. i have easily stumped them as well and they do seem to lack knowledge. about the guy commenting on taking it to an independent reseller and them being on your side, its doubtful. since you didnt buy it there they are not going to go all out to help you out. now if you had bought your powerbook from them in the first place you would have probably had this solved by now with less pain, but you can give it a shot. basically here is my advice, and i really wouldnt consider it advice since you really have no other options. your computer will not be replaced, so stop expecting it. take it to apple, have it sent off, if the logic board is dead then it will be replaced. if you have dead pixels the screen will not be replaced, just policy. try rubbing them out softly with a cloth. now if constantly send back your powerbook only to be returned with an occuring problem or new problem complain to apple, they listen to the customer and just explain your frustration, but only after numerous repairs. also, i have a question, when you said you had a kernel panic and couldn't do anything, did you mean that literally. could you start up, restart, elaborate a littl more and we can possibly save you a trip to the apple store.

iJon

23. reflex macrumors 6502a

Normally, when you receive a defective product, it doesn't matter what warranty you bought (or didn't buy). You can return it. Same goes for "hidden defects", normally. Of course it's not always easy to defend your rights...

24. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Well said. And as for the geniuses, they're only human!:)

25. bradbomb macrumors member

All these people in here are saying you need to get AppleCare and they are right, its helped me a lot on my Powerbook G3 I got while at school in NYC, but there is one problem at least for me. AppleCare isn't allowed to be sold in Fl. You cant get AppleCare if you live in Fl from at least Apple Store Online. Oddly I've seen AppleCare boxes at local CompUSA. Does anyone really know the reason for it. They've said its because of Florida insurance laws, but wouldnt that also not allow it to be sold in CompUSA.