Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I bought this from a forum member here and I've been having a great time with it.

All the original packaging and inserts are present, plus a whole lot of software.

I made it a day of running on only floppies, but brought my HD20 in from home today(the computer is currently at work) which makes for a much more pleasurable user experience :)

I had the correct Appletalk/Localtalk boxes, but was also able to(finally) get it talking to my Laserwriter today(shared with a Beige G3 and also a B&W if I can ever get the serial port working in the B&W).

IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
just curious, what makes you enjoy this over a modern computer?
Hmmm, interesting question to ask in a collector's forum. ;-)

I am not speaking for bunnspecial, but for me - some of the benefits I enjoy:
  • Nostalgia for a simpler time
  • Easy to intellectually grasp the entirety of the system
  • Compatibility with applications and disks that are impossible to use with a "modern" computer
And of course there is no need to enjoy this "over" a modern computer - it is enjoyed in conjunction with a modern computer, or any/all computers, really. Collectors don't generally want just one.

Reactions: AngerDanger

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I don't think he or any collector buys this to use this instead of a modern computer. It's mostly for experimentation, repairing, a few hours of fun, and putting it on a shelf for everyone to see. :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Nice. :)

What's the make and model of the third party external floppy drive? I remember those, but can't remember who made them.

Thanks!

I honestly don't recall and this hasn't made it home from work yet(I don't know when that will be-probably after I get back from vacation next week). For the time being it's a great curiosity and I'm still having people drop by to play with it. The HD20 makes it a LOT more convenient to use.

The floppy is a bit interesting. It actually looks like a conventional PC floppy drive from the front-it's manual insert and has a big mechanical eject button. It's a Macintosh drive through and through though, complete with the ability to read and format 400K and 800K disks. It also has software eject that works just like the internal drive-something that came as a bit of a surprise to me the first time it happened(I was expecting to have to push the button after unmounting the disk).

I'm typing this post from a mid-2012 Macbook Pro(the last "classic" 15" with the high resolution matte screen). I dearly love this particular computer and not only enjoy this computer but also get a lot of real work done on it. I also get a lot of real work done on my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 and my G5 Quad-plus a few other assorted computers(I keep a couple of higher end legacy systems around for older software and hardware).

Others have given the appeal of this computer so I won't rehash their points. All I'll just say is that it's fun to play around with it, play games like they were meant to be played, and I love even being able to do day-to-day tasks on what is a roughly 30 year old computer.

If I need a quick document, I can type it up and spit it out on the Laserwriter in my office faster than I can type if up on my laptop/Mac Pro and then walk upstairs to get it off the main laser printer. For basic documents, MS word honestly hasn't changed that much in 30 years, especially since I have most of the same(relevant) fonts installed on 512Ke HDD as I have on my other computers. As long as I don't need any especially fancy formatting, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell where I typed a particular document. Granted, my B&W G3 can do the same thing even faster and better, but there's something appealing about the use of old hardware.

Most of the students in my current Chemistry 201 class were born around 1997(the year before the first iMac was released) and have minimal to no experience with floppy disks. The fact that I can boot and run programs from a floppy disk only(no hard drive) is so completely out their comprehension that I get a kick out of demonstrating it.

Yes, by modern standards this is a crummy computer with a 9" monochrome LCD and-as shipped-has an incomprehensibly small amount of RAM(512kb). The fact that I can actually still do stuff with it is amazing to me. For that matter, it boots as fast as my SSD-equipped Mac Pro and I can go from a cold boot to a typing something in Word probably faster than I can on my Mac Pro. I get a lot of satisfaction out of that.

And, yes, this is the collectors forum :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It's like collecting old cars, but less expensive. ;)
Don't say that to the guy getting ready to plunk down a pile of cash on a 45 year old car, and a British car at that!

I've made a deal on an MGB that I'm trying to find the time to go pick up(plus a ride up there). And, no, it won't be my only vehicle-I'm not that stupid!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As long as you've got a trailer and something (else) to pull it with - you'll be a happy MGB owner.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

I'm planning on driving it home(I was going to go this morning, but it's raining and the soft top is currently only a few steel bars :) ) but have a co-worker who may go with me. He told me he'd drive his Suburban and bring tow straps :)

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

I'm planning on driving it home(I was going to go this morning, but it's raining and the soft top is currently only a few steel bars :) ) but have a co-worker who may go with me. He told me he'd drive his Suburban and bring tow straps :)
All well and good, but, how many old computers can you fit inside it? ;) ;)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
All well and good, but, how many old computers can you fit inside it? ;) ;)

I've already thought that out :)

I'm planning another trip in that general direction to buy G3 AIO and some other odds and ends, but I'm afraid I might run out of space. That will be a trip for the Lincoln. I wish my mom still had her Town Car-I could probably fit the MG in the trunk of it :)

BTW, the 512K had some issues with the display being "sluggish" when cold. I took it apart this morning and reflowed the known bad solder joints(with fresh solder) and that problem is now fixed. Capacitor C1(one of the ones that I understand is a trouble spot) was fine.

Reactions: MacTech68

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I was going through a forgotten box today and came across the below.

I'm assuming-from the appearance of the set-up-that I can connect the trackball to the mouse port and then the tablet to the serial port.

I also dug out a Mac Plus keyboard with the numeric keypad, a spare standard KB, and a few other odds and ends.

I'm pretty sure I also have another box stashed somewhere with a 3rd party "full size" telephone plug keyboard and-I think-the optional numeric keypad. I stashed these away a while back during an office clean-out at work knowing that it was all good stuff, and am now just remembering them.

IMG_1985.jpg

There was also a Thunderscan in this box, which I understand fits an Imagewriter(I thought at first it was an ink cartridge). I'll be interested in trying this out.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
There was also a Thunderscan in this box, which I understand fits an Imagewriter(I thought at first it was an ink cartridge). I'll be interested in trying this out.
The Thunderscan was a really interesting idea. It looked like a ribbon cartridge because that's exactly what it did... except it had an optical reader where the ribbon was. It used the existing printer paper transport mechanism to move the paper through the printer, then the head swept across it to read an digitize what it saw. Amazing thing, turning a printer into not only an output but also an input device.

You can see Andy Hertzfeld's account of writing the Mac software for the hardware end of this product here:
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Thunderscan.txt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.