My New Blog - is it 5uX0R?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Shameless Self Plug - http://www.lonelycanuck.com

Just curious - its a combination of my own writings and those I've picked up from other places...tell me what you think :)

2. belvdr macrumors 601

3. jestershinra macrumors regular

It's good content, but an original (or at least non-default) skin would certainly not go amiss.

4. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks,

I've been thinking of changing the skin - but I really like the look of it. Since It has a lot of stuff to do with healthcare, that default theme looks very hospital-y for some reason

:)

i dunno,
    I'll try and find a theme that isn't the default-ish looking

5. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I have the same skin at http://www.computing-source.com and I like it. I might just photoshop the header and keep the skin.

btw, Im just doing this blog for fun, IF it has traffic one day, Adsense will take care of it :p

BTW: to OP, you have a great website, I've read a couple of articles and Will read some more.

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I like the name, but that template is meh, it's kinda default.

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow - so the template isn't getting the greatest reviews.

I like it - but thats because I have no programming / artistic skills and it's pretty easy to keep up

it's ported from wordpress to blogger to make updating easy for me

if you guys have any suggestions on what you think it should look like, keeping in mind i am webdesign illiterate....please tell me :)

8. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Thats exactly what im thinking. Its easy to use and modify and I like the look of it. Ill just change the header in photoshop and Ill really like that template!

9. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks,

i appreciate you guys giving constructive critisism

other sites have just left me with "it sucks." or "your mom can do better"

lol

10. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I just wish I had the number or quality aticles you have! Thats impressive. Content goes over look&feel IMO. A simple look filled with content is the best.

11. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

the interface may look standard, but it is clean, and i like clean.

as for content, the one here with a PhD in grassroots journalism should be able to give you some pointers....o' wait, none of us have one of those? that's what i thought...

you should blog about whatever the f you want and not worry about if people like it. ask your friends for feedback they will tell you what you do and dont like.

my $0.02, unless you program something i use/write for a tech mag (online or otherwise) i dont care about intercompuwebnet tips (something i still do and need to remind myself of more often....:rolleyes: ), and writing about your personal life or how news worthy things bother you, in a comedic fashion, is always a good read. also the health related stuff is good times...is that a more professional than personal interest?

in short, good job, keep it up. i think everyone should blog, regardless of how stupid other people think it to be.

12. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments. I agree with your comment about everyone blogging. The thing with a blog is, it's not just meant for others, its also meant for yourself. For me, when it comes to writing about personal things in a comedic fashion, like how i got dumped recently via iChat, its as much therapy as it is fun. Once it's on the page its outa my mind and thats good for me and entertaining for everyone else.

It also helps with improving communication skills because it makes you think about others people and the way they might interpret your message

13. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I like the template. For about 2% of users who happen to know that it's the default Wordpress template, they're just going to criticise it for that very reason - despite the fact it's very clean, elegant, and well-made.

I recently lost my own hacked-together template on my Movable Type blog, and have gone to another one I downloaded from the Sixapart website. Sure it's not as individual as a self-made one, but crucially (as I have no prowess in this kind of thing whatsoever) it's not rubbish, which is what my self-made one was.

Moral of the story - in my opinion you should stick with the one you've got unless you know 100% you can make something better. If not, it looks perfectly fine as it is.

14. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I know 100% that if I attempted to photoshop anything, it would look horrid. :D Thats why I chose this - if any of you on the other hand, want to photoshop and individualize the header for me, i'm all for that - hahaha

seriously though, i would change it if i could - but since i cant, im going to leave it as is. i may make an attempt or two at sprucing it up - but right now, i think its pretty clean

thank you for looking at it though. this being my first blog and site, i appreciate the help :)