My new Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by spuncan, Feb 7, 2002.

1. spuncan macrumors 6502

Well as some of u know I will have a 5 yr old computer (PowerMac G3 233) this July so retirement of it is pretty likely with in the next year. So here's my choices.
    1. Upgrade the hell of this computer (pricy(for what it will be in the end), boring old computer)
    2. Upgrade a Bondi iMac that has a rage pro at this point ((new computer but only upgraded to a 500mhz G3)
    3. Buy a new iMac after the 2nd upgrade when hopefully they will be at 1ghz+ (happy but could be happier (possibly shorter life span due to lack of upgradability))
    4. Buy a G5 Powermac (will last for another 4-5 years at least and make me super happy)
    Well these are my main choices there are others but these are the most applealing. Give ur input on these and other ideas.
    Oh yeah for those who dont know my current specs here they are.
    G3 power mac "desktop" with 233 processor.
    Firewire/USB pci card
    192 ram
    CD-RW (external 24-10-40)
    VST 20gig external HD
    Multiple SCAN 15" AV Apple CRT
    Thats it remeber to replies

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

was the G3's release really 5 years ago?! :eek:

damn....time flies....

3. spuncan thread starter macrumors 6502

OH yeah

I forgot to tell everyone what I would do with the computer.
    At this point I consider myself a low level techie/prouser
    I used mix/master music for a band called Click 47 (garage band). But they broke up so now I'm tight for cash (thankfully my mom and dad wil pay for most of it even though I'll use it the most :) ). I know some java/c++ and build web sties for fun. I play games. duh Um and I borrow :) DVD's (copy). I mainly use computers for Audio and the internet.

4. spuncan thread starter macrumors 6502

yep 1997

december 1997 so actually it 4 years old this april my bad. Any suggestions

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd go for the PowerMac....if u plan to keep the system for the next 4-5 years splurge now....u will be happier in the long run I'm sure :p

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I'm in a similar situation...

..., I too have a G3 233. Here's my specs:

G3 233MHz
    384MBs RAM
    OS 10.1.2/9.2.2
    30 GB 7200rpm HD
    Rage IIc PCI graphics card w/2MB vram (IT SUCKS)

I'm planning on upgrading to the low-end G5 when it comes out. Cheap (get it with no ram if possible and buy 3rd party, use educational discount if possible [I'm in high school, does anyone know how the discount works?]), powerful (G5, duh), uses modern tech so it won't be hell to upgrade (PC133 is on the way out, the price is going to start rising soon. Ever tried to get ram for a performa? It costs a LOT more than PC133 because they don't make it much anymore). The reason I refuse to buy a G4 is all the old tech (PC133, USB 1.1, FireWire 1, ATA66, etc...), it's not going to be fun to upgrade one of those. Hopefully, I'll be able to get one with whatever ATI's counter to the GF4Ti is...