My new Explorer

Discussion in 'Community' started by DakotaGuy, Oct 29, 2003.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well even though I am expecting some "SUV hate" comments over this ;o), I thought I would post a picture of my new truck. It's a 2002 Ford Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer. The price was right on it and I was looking for something that can pull a trailer and this one has the 7,000 lb. towing package. 5 Speed Auto, Control Trac 4x4, with either 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High, or 4x4 Low ranges. It has very few miles on it. The stereo kicks pretty nice, 290 watt, with subwoofer, and CD 6 in dash. I am getting to like the heated leather seats up north.

Attached Files:

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I don't hate SUVs.. congrats on your new toy. Hope you enjoy it! :)

3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Be very careful. Those vehicles are dangerous at high speeds. My cousin bought one a few years ago and is still alive. Just take it easy.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

well we shouldn't be that mad, hybrids aren't abundant in the market just yet. just don't swerve into my lane so you can make a phone call! looks nice though! all the folks in the 'D' are happy your investing in a ford.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've been nearly hit and ran off the road by more than just a few SUVs, myself, so I agree with the not talking on the phone and swirving into another lane comment. People say SUVs are safer, but I am convinced that cars are only "dangerous" because of all the morons saying that SUVs are safer and then plowing into cars because they aren't paying attention.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Congrats on the purchase....so what are you going to be towing?

D

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's see... a 7000Lb towing capacity, and G5s weigh 40 lbs each, so you could tow about 150 of them, plus power supply and assorted cooling and tech gear. A nifty mobile supercomputer! Now to find a use for such a thing.;)

9. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yes of course that is what I will tow, computing power on the go! Actually 2 of my friends and myself did a 3-way purchase a year ago on a boat and I also have a couple snowmobiles on a trailer. I live close to the mountains here and ride in the winters. The Black Hills are a great area for different outdoor activities and I do a lot of snowmobiling, cross country sking in the winter, and some boating on the Missouri River in the summer.

I am happy with the truck, lots of power, and very solid built. I don't swerve through traffic on the cell phone either, actually I try and drive pretty safe and I am not big on gabbing on the cell and driving. I did a lot of research and I see where the 2002 Explorers and up have a lot of changes to make them less easy to roll. Longer wheel base, 2.5 in. wider track, indep. rear suspension, lower frame height, lower engine height, etc. I think the whole Firestone fiasco taught them a lesson or two.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

See, who needs a PowerBook G5 when you have a mobile PowerMac G5 cluster. ;)

11. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

It's not just SUVs.. i've had my fair share of "small" cars do it too. It's all the driver...

12. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Is the Ford purchase process really that harrowing? ;)

"You may have your new vehicle only after traversing this tightrope strung over a pit of poisonous snakes. Then you must carry this t-bone through a roomful of badgers. Only then may you earn your Explorer".

13. DillHarris macrumors member

Congrats on your ride. I am looking to get an '02 or '03 next year... They are truly pretty sweet machines, especially the later models. 3rd row?

14. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer and I don't have any complaints. I bought it new Dec. 1999 and I have 71K miles on it now. Still runs great. Well I have one complaint... I is really dirty and needs some major cleaning, but I can't hold Ford responsible for that.... can I? :D

15. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

No, I did not get the 3rd row seat. It did not matter to me cause I don't have kids or the need to haul 7 people. When the seat is up and you look back from the drivers seat, it screams mini-van! LOL But if you need the seating capacity then it is nice. You really can't judge the 02+ Explorers on the models that came before it because it is a completely new chassis. If you are looking for a midsized "truck based" SUV the Explorer is one of the best out there. Don't be scared by the Ford oval on the hood, they got this vehicle right, both in terms of fit and finish, handling and materials.

Now the only problem I can site is don't buy it expecting great MPG. According to the trip computer I finally hit around 18 on my trip back. I did get the V8 though and the V6 will get over 20. I figure if I am going to burn the gas I might as well have a truck with some balls... Also I like something smooth and quiet, and V8's are still the best, most natural engine design for smoothness. I guess you have to pay to have power. I don't feel bad though when I see all the Suburbans, Excursions, Expeditions, Sequoia's, etc. my Explorer seems small and economical... I guess with midsized SUV's right now it pretty much comes down to the Explorer and the Honda Pilot. Both have their strenghts. I just wanted a truck undercarriage and not a minivan one because I spend time in the Hills on trails, etc. and I have things to pull.

16. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Sexy!

My dad has a 1996 Explorer. Protected us well when we were rear-ended. Very good vehicle.

Take good care of that beast, and it'll take good care of you!

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Mmm - I DO like the Explorer. Congrats on your new purchase...

I just got a new Volvo V70 D5 last month - a silver Turbo Diesel - with Alloys & low profile tyres, heated leather seats, Triptronic 5-speed Automatic gearbox, electric everything, 4-disc CD changer, Satellite Navigation, and - get this - a widescreen LCD TV that pops up from the dashboard...

Great on long trips where you're stuck in traffic. I'm going to put a freeview digibox in there - maybe even a PS2 - just to break up the boredom. There are special places in the back where they can be put, so there's no major rewiring to be done at all. All I need is the mains inverter, which I already have. The Satellite Navigation is excellent - and the one DVD-Rom covers the whole of Western Europe, and links to various traffic systems to track jams and road works on the fly. Very cool...

:D

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

congrats on your purchase

safety is half the driver, half the car

with most suv's the achille's heel is still rollover but more and more makers are making shorter and wider suv's to combat that problem since nearly a third of all traffic deaths are suv rollovers and many of those accidents involve just the suv

i like that fact that the hummer is so wide so it doesn't roll over...but it's width adds to its weight which gives it bad gas mileage...but with newer materials and better technology, hummer will one day make a smaller, but still wide(safe) suv which gets good gas mileage and that will be the one i get if i go for an suv

i have had three cars in my life and all were very different...currently, i have a volvo station wagon which is very safe and rugged but with 4 cylinders it lacks power...before that i had a nissan maxima station wagon and with its six cylinders and relatively small size, the thing was a rocket and i had to watch out for speeding by accident since it crept up on you...and my first car was a datsun 610 sedan and that thing was a tiny vw beetle sized car and its only advantage was gas mileage and ease of parking

my next car will be either another volvo or like i said, a smaller hummer type vehicle...i would like to see ford make the explorer a little shorter and wider...now that would be cool...i like the eddie bauer colors

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I sure miss the Dodge Ramcharger. That SUV was impossible to roll. Well not impossible, but I have almost rolled 2 explorers, and I only came close to rolling my Dodge once. (and I was sliding sideways in gravel at 20 MPH at the time, so I really can't blame the truck for that one.) Anyway I wish Dodge would bring back the Ramcharger. I am not a huge fan of its smaller replacement.

I found a pic of a Ramcharger from the same year as my old one. (1983) Mine was all blue though, but you get the point.

[​IMG]

20. Zion Grail macrumors regular

I've got not problem with people buying SUVs when they need them. You are doing towing - a very valid reason. However, soccer moms who NEVER need such capabilities... makes me sick, especially when they go and get an H2. So wasteful...

It's their choice of what to buy, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it's a poor one. It also doesn't change my support for stricter controls of gas milage and exhaust emissions.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

now if the h2 could be lighter and more fuel efficient i would be ok with that one...i would get one and i know the hummers don't roll like the other suv's out there

i don't like gas guzzlers, especially now that we know some of that mideast oil money may go to al qaeda

and there is no reason for an suv if safety is your reason for the soccor kids but the thing rolls over

in a few years, it won't be an issue because the makers are listening to us and suv's will get wider, shorter, lighter, safer, more gas efficeint, etc

remember the huge boat caddies? when they fell out of public favor and the whole opec crisis came about, smaller cars then dominated the market...and the larger size of the boat caddies did not make them safer since they did not employ the crumple zone

22. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

An SUV, or by that matter, any other car, won't roll over if you're a careful and good driver, and will roll over if you're careless enough. I know that by personal experience, as I flipped a Thunderbird once. Most accidents, including rollovers, are caused by driver error. The factor to correct is the driver, and the way to correct that factor is to drive carefully.

That said, if you're in an SUV and someone else crashes into you, your kids will be safer than they would be in a little Volkswagen or something. I know that from personal experience too.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a really bad driver can make any car unsafe...i have seen that too many times

suv's account for one third of all traffic deaths and mostly due to rollover...this explains the reasons why there is so much talk about suv and rollovers...but now in 2003, things are better than before

24. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

SUV's are more top-heavy and present more of a rollover risk, true. The problem is ignorant, stupid, or miseducated drivers. You can't corner with an SUV like you can with a car. It's a truck, and should be handled as such.

If I was CEO of Ford, I would distribute with all SUV's a brochure about "How not to kill yourself or your countrymen with your SUV" explaining these things :)

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my dream suv would be one that is hard to roll over, even with a bad driver

i do not design cars, and i am not a hard core car enthusiast but i would love to see a car like this for the times

i imagine a smaller hummer type vehicle with airbags all over, special alloy superstrong frame, and great gas mieleage due to some hybrid type setup...but what would this cost? that's where the problem could come in

computers advance so fast and if cars did the same, we would have a vehicle that gets thousands of miles to the gallon and would cost us a few cents...but in the real world of cars, we have to live with small incremental advances in technology

...man, it's great to be a machead in 2003:D