Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, I am joining the Sherriff's posse here. I will be like a backup deputy during hurricanes and when needed. So, I have to qualify again with firearm training. So, I got a M9A1 and a Px4 Storm.

Here is a link to photos.

http://web.mac.com/thestaceyfamily/iWeb/Site/My firearms.html

They are so smooth and accurate it is amazing. Check them out!

Edit: If you don't like guns, or don't like talking about them, then please don't grap on my thread.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Only shot a real gun once (an M177 Colt Carbine) but it was great fun if very, very scary.

These two look sweet. Just don't kill anybody (are those hollow point rounds?).

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
BTTM, are those regular flashlights attached to the barrels? It seemed like that from one of your pictures. I guess I was hoping for lasers...

Good for you for accepting the risk and responsibility of maintaining order and helping unfortunates during a potential crisis. Kudos to you for taking the responsible steps in handling your weapons.

Personally, guns have never been my thing - but you have them (and are handling them) for all the right reasons.

Good luck to you sir - I hope you never have to use them (off the range).

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
blackfox said:
BTTM, are those regular flashlights attached to the barrels? It seemed like that from one of your pictures. I guess I was hoping for lasers...
They are (most likely) high-intensity flashlights, used to acquire targets after dark. Also very useful for temporarily blinding someone for a tactical advantage. Not sure about BTTMs setup, but often you can turn these lights on and off with a switch mounted near the trigger. The resulting dark-to-bright-to-dark cycle can be very hard on the eyes. Keeping one of your own eyes closed while you flash someone is a Good Idea.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
mactastic said:
Keeping one of your own eyes closed while you flash someone is a Good Idea.
I usually keep both open to see the look on their face...oh, wait...what are we talking about again?

Thanks for the info mac...

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
mactastic said:
They are (most likely) high-intensity flashlights, used to acquire targets after dark. Also very useful for temporarily blinding someone for a tactical advantage.

Hmmm...that's different from what I was taught in the Army. I was told to keep the light separate from the gun and especially your body, as your opponent's instinct is to shoot in the direction of the light. Especially if that's the only thing they can see.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Black&Tan said:
Hmmm...that's different from what I was taught in the Army. I was told to keep the light separate from the gun and especially your body, as your opponent's instinct is to shoot in the direction of the light. Especially if that's the only thing they can see.

You are right, but these new lights are so bright that you can't even see the light after looking into them, you are totally blind :)

Thanks for the props on my avatar, Mr. Anderson made that for me nearly five or six years ago.

The lights are small flashlights. The lasers are on order :)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Black&Tan said:
I'm no expert, but IIRC SWAT type folks (which is essentially the role BTTM would be in) aren't worried as much about being invisible as an Army guy would be in enemy territory.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
mactastic said:
I'm no expert, but IIRC SWAT type folks (which is essentially the role BTTM would be in) aren't worried as much about being invisible as an Army guy would be in enemy territory.

AFAIK swat like police forces actually use flashlights and lasers to look more scary and thus gain a psychological advantage ...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
mactastic said:
Nice... looks like a fun way to turn cash into noise.

Oh, and it's posse.
Guy buys gun, you correct his spelling. Balls. Of. Steel.:D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Backtothemac said:
Well, I am joining the Sherriff's possie here. I will be like a backup deputy during hurricanes and when needed. So, I have to qualify again with firearm training. So, I got a M9A1 and a Px4 Storm.

Here is a link to photos.

http://web.mac.com/thestaceyfamily/iWeb/Site/My firearms.html

They are so smooth and accurate it is amazing. Check them out!
Thanks for sharing. Be careful out there.

Now I miss my guns... sniff. :(

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
BacktotheMac

Have you gotten a safe or the like to keep them out of the hands of your daughter and her friends? I would also consider looking into education techniques incase she comes across it, but I would guarantee from knowing you that you value the safety of your family above all else and have probably considered everything I just said.

Nice Stuff btw ...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Kwyjibo said:
BacktotheMac

Have you gotten a safe or the like to keep them out of the hands of your daughter and her friends? I would also consider looking into education techniques incase she comes across it, but I would guarantee from knowing you that you value the safety of your family above all else and have probably considered everything I just said.

Nice Stuff btw ...
I don't have them in a safe. My daughter is learning to shoot with a 22 rifle right now. She can't load a round into the slide, she isn't strong enough. Still, I am going to raise her with them the same way that I was so that she will always respect them.

She is a pretty good shot for her age (8) and is excellent when it comes to gun safety. But I agree that you have to have the respect for the weapon.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
AlBDamned said:
Only shot a real gun once (an M177 Colt Carbine) but it was great fun if very, very scary.

These two look sweet. Just don't kill anybody (are those hollow point rounds?).
Yea, the hollow points are for home defense, and I use standard 9mm rounds for target practice.

I just can't wait to get my AR-15. That baby is sweet!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Home Depot has a cheap-o gun safe for about $300. I'd recommend it because your girl will have friends who might not be as firearm savvy as she is. There are also legal implications surrounding unlocked guns. $300 is cheap peace-of-mind insurance for those types of things.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
mactastic said:
Home Depot has a cheap-o gun safe for about $300. I'd recommend it because your girl will have friends who might not be as firearm savvy as she is. There are also legal implications surrounding unlocked guns. $300 is cheap peace-of-mind insurance for those types of things.
Thanks! I will check it out. That would rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.