my new imac g5 isight 17in

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derajfast, Nov 6, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i just got my new iMac g5 isight, and its really quite remarkable, but its a bit sluggish and a few programs have quit or locked upp. i have a feeling its due to the limited amounts of memory in the machine and have already ordered a 1gb stick to bring it up to 1.5 gb of overall ddr2 memory.....however, i never remember my powerbook being that slow with numerous programs when i only had 512 in here before i upgraded to 1.25gb......iphoto 5 especially slows it down, but i think with 1.5gb in there, it should speed things up quite a bit......any thoughs?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Check Energy Saver Preference Pane and make sure your machine is set to "Highest", not "Automatic".

Also check the right hand side of your keyboard. You will find 2 keys, 1 for "Shift" and one for "Return / Enter". Judicious use of both of these makes forum posts much more reeadable.
    ;)

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah its cranked up all the way. Sorry about the punctuation, but it is dark in here, and i cant really see the keyboard and dont really feel like worrying about it much.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

You can turn the lights on you know - the new Rev.C iMac's seem to use a lot less power :)

Have you checked the Activity Monitor (Apps>Utilities?) - to see if lack of memory is the problem. Mine was running low of 'free' memory with 512Mb, when using 2-3 iLife apps at once, with lots of pagein/outs. It has a lot more free memory now with 1.5Gb's.

I've not set my processor to Highest yet, just left it on Automatic.