My new iMac just blacked out.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skunk, Nov 28, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This new 24" has been completely flawless until just now. I was doing nothing more stressful than deleting a picture from iPhoto: selected the picture, blipped the mouse, and the machine made a slight crackle and immediately switched off. I restarted with no further incident. What the hell was that about? :confused: :(

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Sounds like a power issue. Or the Mac just really liked that photo.

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I've just realised what happened: I've got the computer plugged into a surge protector under my desk, and I just tripped the reset button with my foot... :eek:

:D Phew!

4. fall3n macrumors 6502

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It'll only happen again if I kick the surge protector again. I've moved it now.

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

This seems appropriate.

Attached Files:

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You ought to look into a surge protector + battery protection. If the power goes out (or if you accidently shut off the power like you did) the battery kicks in and can last up to 2 hours! Which is essential if you forget to save and then the power shuts off. I got one that lasts about 50 minutes, only cost me about 40 dollars. I know that sounded like an advertisment, but it's really a great invention.

8. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Or they can start coming out with iMac's with a reserve battery in it (not a bad idea?):D