Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
I've copied a all my stuff over from my iBook and there are a few things I need to know.

1. Along with all my external software (Word, Fireworks etc) it has copied over lots of old OSX software like WorldBook 2003 etc. Can I just delete these folders or do I need to go through some convoluted process that tell my new iMac that they're gone - like removing software through control panel on the PC?

2. Can I copy over some of the newer OSX applications (my WorldBook 2003 doesn't open - it just bounces up and down on the dock and then crashes) to my iBook? Or even Tiger itself? Or will this cause problems?

3. I already have Word/Excel etc but whenever I try and open an associated document it'll automatically try and open it with my trial version of Microsoft Office X - which is getting on my tits. Can I set my older, but complete version of Office as the default for opening these? Or shall I just use the trial version and then revert to my old apps once the licence runs out? Will using the trail version overwrite my old versions or something annoying like that?

Thanks in advance.

Qoxiivi

PS: I may be adding to these questions as and when I come across things that confuse or perplex me :)

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Qoxiivi said:
I've copied a all my stuff over from my iBook and there are a few things I need to know.

1. Along with all my external software (Word, Fireworks etc) it has copied over lots of old OSX software like WorldBook 2003 etc. Can I just delete these folders or do I need to go through some convoluted process that tell my new iMac that they're gone - like removing software through control panel on the PC?

2. Can I copy over some of the newer OSX applications (my WorldBook 2003 doesn't open - it just bounces up and down on the dock and then crashes) to my iBook? Or even Tiger itself? Or will this cause problems?

3. I already have Word/Excel etc but whenever I try and open an associated document it'll automatically try and open it with my trial version of Microsoft Office X - which is getting on my tits. Can I set my older, but complete version of Office as the default for opening these? Or shall I just use the trial version and then revert to my old apps once the licence runs out? Will using the trail version overwrite my old versions or something annoying like that?

1. You should be able to just drag the unwanted folders/applications to the trash, and they're gone

2. Depends on the application. Most of the newer ones should work, however some apps have an installer which installs some extra files. These may not work.

3. One way would be to command-click on a word document, select Open with > other, select the full version of Word, check the 'Always open with' box and open it. Repeat for Excel and Powerpoint files. Or just trash
the Office trial version folder. Using the trial version shouldn't overwrite anything, however you might want to make sure the default file locations are set the same as the full version so you don't get different file versions saved in different locations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.