My new iPod nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spacepower7, Sep 10, 2005.

1. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

first look.....will continue as I learn more

iPod Nano..... 4GB Black

Bought at an Apple Store
    The store has special iPod nano boxes/fold-out bags for promo. Box/bag has is black and has picture of white iPod nano on both sides.

Actual nano box is black.

Start...

Honestly, it is the coolest piece of technology that I have had since my PB Pismo or original 5 GB iPod. And I have a lot of cool stuff ;)

I was all confused reading reviews on web sites like Macworld and others.

Does the nano work in an iPod dock? With an adaptor or the "mysterious adaptor"?

I charged/fitted the nano in the dock of my 3G: 40 GB iPod. No Problem.

The Apple store had a bunch of nanos in old docks 4G-PrePhoto and 60GB Photo.

My question.... The nano can't do video out the audio port, because it isn't an A/V port like the photo models. But why would that stop the nano from doing video out the dock connector through the S-Video port on an iPod Photo dock?

Will add more soon :)

2. ineedtoknow macrumors newbie

ok since you have your own ipod nano you should know what comes in the box. I have been trying to figure out what is in it because i have heard rumors that there was no charger. Can you tell me all the acessories.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Many pictures here.

There is no charger included. List of what's included (beyond the pics mentioned) is here.

4. ineedtoknow macrumors newbie

so you have to buy the $30 dock? that sucks

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There's really no need to get a dock. I never use mine... ever. It's nice for some, but not a need-to-have.

But, yeah, they include less with each iPod. Pretty soon, the battery will be extra....

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

How is one supposed to hold the thing? The lanyard and the arm band are still several weeks from shipping.

I think I'll wait until all accessories come in before I buy. In fact, I might just wait until rev.B. Knock out all the kinks. ;)

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just keep mine in my little jeans pocket. ;) [assumes you've seen the Stevenote intro of the nano, ~43 minutes into the video].

Of course, by the time accessories arrive, the nanos will be hard to find....

8. ineedtoknow macrumors newbie

so what exactly should i purchase for me to charge and sync my ipod nano when i get it? Do i just by the usb cable or is there a seperate cable that will charge it? Will i have to buy 2 different cables to sync and charge or is there one cable that will do both?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The included USB cable will both sync and charge the iPod (as long as it's in a full power USB port - so right into the machine unless you have a powered hub, aka not the port on your keyboard which is USB1.1 anyways).

This is how I use my mini at home, and I leave the firewire cable and charging adaptor at work so i can do a quick charge there if needed. It works just fine.

Somehow I think that Apple will not come up short on the Nano. They may time the second shipment of them to stores in such a way that there is a short period where you can't get one anywhere just to create the illusion of shortages and fuel sales, but I am betting they are going to be flooding the distribution chain for the rest of the year.

10. lopresmb macrumors 6502

yep, it;ll charge up right over USB, I saw one tiday for the first time, man, they are quite small...

11. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

No kinks - perfect. ;)

12. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Thats good to hear. How fast it is in usage? Turning on, prep time, menu scrolling, delays before music plays etc??? I hear its quicker than the other iPods.

Th extra bits in the software look pretty good too, its a shame Apple didn't put these in the iPod software updater for the other iPods, I'm waiting for something new for my iPod photo! (I guess it helps drive nano sales though!) :)

13. robcts macrumors regular

It's pretty fast for me, almost no wait time at all.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The arm band is available now; I picked up a grey one at the Store here in Charlotte yesterday. (Not that I really WANTED the armband, but I had to get SOMETHING to protect the nano until some sort of full skin is available.)

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

how do you get it to view album art while playing?

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Press the middle (Select) button a couple of times to view the album art.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

No, you should just get one now :) . I'm keeping mine in a sock, works well enough until the accessories appear. I'm not keen on the tubes because they don't protect the screen.

19. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

And then press it again to view the lyrics (if you added them in iTunes). Now that is cool. :p

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

The last iPod to ship with a dock was the Rev A. iPod Photo 60GB. The mini NEVER shipped with a dock, and the Rev b mini didn't ship with a travel charger. So why would you expect the nano to ship with either?