My new Macbook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Haarball, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Haarball macrumors member

Posting from my new Macbook that arrived today (FYI, I'm in Norway. It shipped from Holland on monday). Its the standard white 1,83Ghz version with a 2GB RAM upgrade (seperately bought, obv). Lovely! Although the screen is way too light. Im pulling it as far back as it goes, but it's still too light. I did a gamma calibration which helped a bit, but not enough. Any solution to this?

I should also mention this is my first Mac, so even though I've been using my friend's old iMac quite a few times I'm far from "smooth operator", so to speak.

I'm off to download loads of widgets and apps as well as add all the bookmarks I've got on the home PC.

If there are any keyboard shortcuts, nifty tricks, widgets, apps or anything else I need to know, well, erm, let me know!

(oops, wrong forum! Can someone move this? Sorry)

2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

F1 and F2 control the brightness on the Macbook... if you press F1 you can lower the brightness :p

3. Haarball thread starter macrumors member

By the way, is there a way to transfer songs from my iPod onto my Macbook, when I originally got those songs from my home PC?

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

A bit of freeware called Senuiti should do the trick. Very nice app with an iTunes-like interface.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Here you go.

edit: No! Beaten!

6. Haarball thread starter macrumors member

Cheers!

Also, would you recommend Camino, Firefox or Safari? I know they're all fairly similar and probably have their unique strengths and weaknesses, but which one is widely accepted as the better one and which is you guys using?

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I use Firefox and Safari. I love the way Safari works, but many folks prefer Firefox and some websites behave better in it for me than Safari. So I split time.

8. Woody56292 macrumors newbie

I like firefox because it is opensource and has tons of widgets for it.
    like this widget that lets me add smilies to forums.

[​IMG]

ooh just found a new one.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Haarball thread starter macrumors member

So not Camino then?

By the way, Camino and Firefox has these "drive" icons on the desktop. Can I delete these? Are they the application itself, or just some installation thingy I can delete?

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The disk images are how you install (most) programs on the Mac. Once you have the image loaded, just drag and drop the application to your Applications folder (or whatever) and then eject the disk image. Program installed.

For the record, I use Opera most of the time and Firefox when I run into site compatability problems, which does happen. It's a great browser otherwise.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Camino doesn't support firefox extensions, which is quite a bummer.

I like Firefox because of all that flexibility.

12. Haarball thread starter macrumors member

Another thing, I often find that the text in Firefox is too small, and like to up it one notch. Is there a way to make Firefox do this automatically on startup?

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Firefox Menu -> Preferences -> Content -> Fonts & Colors (it's at the bottom of the window).